Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

42"s with 6"? need some opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sled_dog, Feb 3, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

42\"s with 6\"? need some opinions

I have seen these k5s on 42s with 4" of suspension and 3" of body and want an opinion. What do you guys think is the biggest I could clear with 7" of total suspension. Say longer front shackles and 6" leaves and 6" springs wiht a 1" block out back? Of course fender trimming is in the idea here. The Blazer would look pretty good sitting on 42s /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: 42\"s with 6\"? need some opinions

body lift isn't an option becuase I just don't like them and when I was doing some of the large amounts of rust restoring(welding and welding and welding some more new metal in) I welded a few body mount bolts to the body. I could surely zip them off and lift it up but I just don't want to. I am thinking 38s or 39s with fender trimming and just straight 6" of lift.

3. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

i'm running six with 38.5 boggers no rubbing yet but a the usual trimming was nessesary sorry no pics but you can check out our gallery on www.socalbigdawgs.com and see most are running 6" and 38's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

42's fit nicely with 6 inch springs, and a 1 inch zero rate front and rear and some trimming, I like that setup but I have 6 inch tuff country front ORD HD Shackles, ORD 4 inch shackle flip, and I am going for the zero rates moving the front axle forward 1.5 inches. And a longer rear shackle, so I should have around 7 1/2 inches.

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am running 4" front springs and an Echobit rear shackle flip w/ F150 leafs w/ 38's and heavily trimmed fenders. Next time I buy tires I am getting 42's, and im not lifting it anymore...just cutting off whatever is in the way.
    If your not affraid of some trimming I don't think you would have a problem w/ 42's on a 6".

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Here's a pic with 7 inches of lift and slight trimming
    [​IMG]

I have trimmed the front and back more just have to take a new pic.

BIGJ

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Jeff-

Were you able to leave your front wheel wells in? I am worried that my flexy rig is going to have some issues with RUBBING! The 42s + 7" lift + 900+ RTI = BIG RUBBIN/CHOPPING!

[​IMG]

There is more room than appears in this pic... its just the tires sitting next to the trk! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif And my truck doesnt have saggy butt that bad either... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I picture lotza chopping, but I can't put a finger on just how much!

-Dan

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

SAVAGE1 runs 42's with 6" lift and I run 39.5's with 6" of lift. I'll post some recent pics of me flexing it out with its current set-up.

Rod had some minor rubbing and I had none, excpet for my body rubbing on some rocks, but that is a differnt thread.

9. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

The front wheel wells are still in, and the fender is now trimmed up to the edge of the inner fender. I really didn't want to take out the inner fender cause it makes a mess in the engine bay without em'.

BIGJ

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think I am gonna do 6" superlift kit with some 38 TSLs. My rear springs are over 3/4 ton capacity 6 leaves that give me back end like 1 1/2" of lift. So I am thinking get the 6" front springs and add a leaf and 3" blocks out back. Its gonna ride pretty darn stiff in the back but oh well I can deal with a skipping cd now and again(though I live in Pennsylvania and well even the highways here are bumpy and rough). I was gonna get rid of the K5 in favor of something newer and more reliable then my dad came home today and said he got me a new Target 350 with only 2k on the clock for $350 so its on /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Gonna use the money I got out of the bank to buy a new truck to lift this blazer and put it on them 38s /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

You really might want to reconsider that rear spring set up. The shakle flip kit is a simple, safer, flexier, and smoother riding alternative. Blocks are just a bad idea and off road technology is far beyone them now, true though they are cheep but they also create a weak link by having insanly long u-bolts and not to mention with huge rubber they give huge amounts of axle wrap. I dont think you will have any trouble with the 42's either, I wish I would've gone with the big rubber first. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well I am thinking 38s cause I have enough money for the lift and 38s right now and I won't have enough for 42s for a while. Besides this is my daily driver so 38s may even be pushing it. I thought about doing the shackle flip out back and just use my rear springs I have now. I think that would be about 6" of lift. Not sure I want to spend the money for the flip or remove my gas tank. I would probably spend the extra cash on a set of superride 6" leaves all around.

13. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Like Zakk said I'm running 42's on 6" susp.
    [​IMG]

Wheeled the new setup for the first time this past weekend and only experienced minor rubbing at full flex. My 14b is moved back 2 inches but the D60 is in its stock location. The front rubbed at the firewall so moving the front axle forward would help a lot. Also getting rid of the inner fender at the fire wall would be ideal also, I removed mine completely. Here are some action shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pics courtesey of <font color="green">gokartergo</font color>