Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

42" TSL on 15" Wheels and Dana 60?!?!?!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eldon519, Jul 18, 2002.

1. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

42\" TSL on 15\" Wheels and Dana 60?!?!?!!

Alright, I'm to that wonderful time in my life where I get to drop a big chunk of change on bigger tires and new wheels! I've got several questions: First, I want to run 42" TSLs with a 6" lift, any suggestions on wheel backspacing? Would a 10" wide rim suffice?

Second, I'm gonna run 15" rims on my D60 so I know I've got to do some grinding. I'm gonna run steel wheels. Do you think that with certain brands of wheel I'm gonna have to grind more than others based on the thickness of the wheel metal?

Third, I need 15" wheels, probably 10" wide, with an 8-lug pattern to fit a D60. Does anyone know the actual pattern(those measurements that are included?) and does anyone know a company that makes wheels that fit my needs? I just want regular steel wheels, cheap as possible, I don't care what they look like and I don't need beadlocks. It's just a crappy beater for fun.

Well thanks for all your help, I hope I didn't sound too short or impatient writing this but I keep trying not to forget anything cause I'm probably gonna be doing this this week and I need to get everything straightened out. Thanks for any advice

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: 42\" TSL on 15\" Wheels and Dana 60?!?!?!!

<font color="green"> That's the exact same setup that I am going to run except that I am going with beadlocks. The US wheel wagon wheels are cheap and strong, as for backspacing, I've seen everything from 2.5" (practically no grinding) to 4.75 (LOTS of grinding) on the 60s. I've also heard the Eatons reguire less backspacing than some other wheels, but that is just hearsay so I can't gaurantee it. I am planning on running 3", or possibly 3.5".

42s on a 6" lift is a squeeze but it can definately be done. Your main point of contact is going to be in the front, between the tire and the firewall. You can eliminate alot of this by running an offset zero rate add a leaf from ORD. It will push the axle forward 1.5" and lift the front an extra inch. I run 38s on a 6" lift with 10" wide wheels with 4.25" of backspace and get barely any rubbing, but when it's flexed hard it will still make a bit of contact with the firewall. Without pushing the front axle forward I'd think that there will be some pretty serious rubbing with 42s, especially on the wheels with less backspacing. Hope all this helps... </font color>

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got my wheels from Les Shwabb. I run that setup but with 39.5's instead. Tires hit the firewall on extreme compression. Going to try the ORD zero rates to see if that will help.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Eaton's HD steel wheels are 3.5" of backspacing these days... I think they used to be 3 or 3.25 tho. Those numbers are for the standard wheels... you can special order them in any backspacing you want if $ isn't a big issue that might be the way to go. Like the other guy said, 2.5" of BS = little to no grinding at all... 4.75 = better go buy a new grinding wheel. Anyway, if anyone really cares I can measure my new eatons when I go home. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I have already ground my D60 so US Wheels wagons will fit... (they have 4.25" of BS) so the Eatons will have PLENTY of room to spare. If you wanted to see pics of the grinding action, I am pretty sure I posted at least a couple on my webshots... just flip to page 2 of my webshots main page and there ya have it...

J

6. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

I can not find the ORD zero-rate add-a-leaf anywhere on ORD's website. I have looked repeatedly, and I'm either just over looking it or it's not in their catalog yet, does anyone have a link to the page or site?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Here they are. These are the ofset ones to push the axle forward.</font color>

8. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I run a 6in Super lift,2in body,longer shackles and don't hit. I did cut the hell out of the fenders. I use the M.R.T. beadlocks 15x10. You will need to grind the calipers. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif GET A BIG GRINDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know about how much load capacity I'm gonna need for these wheels? I called National Tire and Wheel today and was told the Eatons have a 3000lb capacity which sounds like plenty to me. However, two of the other brands I looked at were rated to 1500lbs and 1800lbs both of which seemed a little bit light to me for a fullsize. Anyone have any suggestions for a minumum capacity?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My shortbed weighed 6000 with 1/2 ton axles, so I'm thinking at least 2000 lbs each would be best. </font color>

11. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have 15x10 steel Rock Crawler wheels from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers. They have 2.5" backspacing, so I didn't have to grind the calipers. They're about $60 a piece. The PN is: 82-5181R2.5. I'm running these wheels with 39.5" TSLs on front and rear Dana 60s with no problem. A 10" wide wheel is the specified rime size for both a 39.5" and a 42" TSL Swamper. Hope this helps.

Will