Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

427 Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevrolet21, Sep 17, 2002.

1. chevrolet21

chevrolet21 Registered Member

I have a 85 K-10 and I was wondering if a 427 tall block would bolt up to 350 turbo transmission without buying additional parts?

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

SBC and BBC have the same bellhousing pattern. So if it is a Chevy big block, it will bolt up. The torque converter in your tranny will probably even bolt to the 427, if it came out of an auto tranny truck.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The tall block should bolt to the same tranny as the regular block. </font color>

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

427's are my fav. motors. I had to sell the ZL1-427 I had in the garage. I could just about die, but I couldn't turn down the price I was offered. I want a 427 for my Blazer so badly !!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. chevrolet21

i was thinking? If somebody can make a resonable offer I'll let this 427 tall block go! The motor is a 78. It supposely has been rebuilt but not bored and it has a new harmonic balancer. Let me know if anyone is interested!

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if you are running a built 427 with a TH350 behind it, it is only a matter of time before the tranny let's go. Sure, it can be done, but the peace of mind a TH400 will offer you is worth it, IMHO.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to be a downer for you, I wouldn't get my hopes up of trying to fetch a pretty penny for a tall deck 427 BBC. These motors, the 366 and 427) are a class of their own. Sure the size sounds good, but they have some harder to find parts for them.
    The "ideal" 427 to find would be the standard deck block motors. With these, you can swap anything into them.

If I had a use for the tall deck blocks, I would bore and stroke them to build a motor in excess of 500 cubic inches. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Stroking the tall deck is about all these motors are good for. But expect to spend some $$$ for the parts to build them.

8. chevrolet21

Thanks alot k30guy. Now if I had any chance of making a little money with this motor you have completely shot that down!! Next time think before you type!

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm sorry? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

10. chevrolet21

No problem I probably wouldn't be able to sell it anyway! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Be careful with the truth now....

12. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I designed a 427 in dyno2000 to produce 827 ftlbs @ 2000 RPM and 730 hp @ 6000. With a little help from a 150 shot NOS. I am planning to build that engine in the future and put it in my truck, or build two, and put another in my camaro. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif