Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

427 Small Block

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Mar 21, 2004.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experince with 427 small blocks, espically the World SB. I have been look at them for a little wile now and think they would be a SWEET truck motor because you can get huge TQ numbers. Also with a 4.125" Bore and 4.0" Stroke is it basically a stroked 400? Like I said just kinnda wonding if anyone has ANY experence with them as I would like to ask a them a few questions /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No experience but I'd really like to build one. Yes stroked 400 like you said. Though you usually hear of a 434, aka stroked 400 bored .030 over. My dad wants to get a 55 Chevy and tub it out and put his circle track motor in it when hes done racing(this was planned since he had the motor built so it will work). But the tub and the power won't go together. Thats why I want to build a big inch big power motor.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Yes, that is basically a stroked 400 sbc. Biggest differences is the use of a good aftermarket block, and the crank.

That would be cool, but maybe with a different cam and heads. In it's current configuration, I would think it would be a bit high strung for truck use.

If you are looking to spend that kind of $$$$, why not just get a crate BBC???? That will put out gobs of torque also, and probably last longer doing it.

I was contemplating my 400 into a 434" motor, and after pricing it out, a 454 seemed much more reasonable /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

what really makes a World block better then a GM block?

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Thicker casting, with more meat left in critical areas....

Then we get into the discussion of 'seasoned' vs not in the block department, along with the 25+ years of use vs new, fresh casting....

They designed this to be a race block and hold together. Given the choice, Motown block all the way.

This is really just an opinion BTW....

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I know this is opion also but would you say motown is about the best SB Block out there? Or would dart or others be better or about the same? Ive been searching all over the net to learn more about this stuff but it dosent really seem to be all that common... Also "race" blocks are never a bad thing for street use are they? MoTown has a complete 427 "street" small block

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

In a 400, as long as the 'race' block has the steam holes available I would think it would be a good deal. I would inquire with the manufacturer, or someone in the know on rebuilding the block in question. There could be other differences, that may not be noticable, but may be hazardous to your motors health.

I am going to pass on the wich is better question, as I do not feel qualified to answer it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I take all the web wheeling info with a grain of salt /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif