Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Nov 23, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i can get my hands on a 427 for 100$, it needs rings and thats about it. how would this engine do in a truck, i heard they are more torquier than a 454. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

if its a passenger car 427 buy it, sell it, and reap a tidy profit.

but I'm guessing its a 427 td.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When equipped simmilar , the larger engine will make more torque . What the 427 has going for it is it will rev higher if the valetrain is quality and the induction/exhaust is equipped to handle it . But hell a BB for 100 is good anyday /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 86chevybanshee

i think its out of a bucket truck or something

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Regardless , a re-ring kit , some rebuilt heads , a nice intake/carb/cam/headers , and your rock n rolling . I bet you can do it for cheap if you don't need machine work

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A 454 has more torque than a 427 due to the longer stroke on the 454, they share the same bore. I think it would be a good mud running motor.

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

If it is out of a bucket truck then it is probably a Tall Deck 427... you can make these into a 600 cube monster. In stock form they don't like high RPM's very much, pistons have an extra ring, and standard big blocks stuff (most brackets, intake, etc...) will not work on them. Lots of drag racers and boat racers build the Tall Decks... but they put alot of $$ in them.
    Also, make sure it is NOT a 366... they look like a 427 but are a sh!t motor, and not good for anything.

8. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

I have a factory MercCruiser 500 which is a Tall Deck 427 with a 1/2" stroker crank. It's the monster you'd expect with those specs, but the strange thing is the fuel mileage-it gets much better economy than a crate carbureted 502.
    The biggest trouble with them is the shortage of intake manifold selections. Mine has an old Tarantula with spacer plates.

$100 is a steal.

9. 86chevybanshee

my 465 should fit behind it right?, also will i have to swap motor mounts or anything?

thanks

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    my 465 should fit behind it right?, also will i have to swap motor mounts or anything?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

All Chevy V8s share motor mounts and bellhousing pattern.

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    If it is out of a bucket truck then it is probably a Tall Deck 427... you can make these into a 600 cube monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious how you've figured out you would get over 600 cubes!? What would the bore x stroke be?
    I've spent some time trying to figure that out before.. .100" over and a 4.5" stroker crank would yeild 535 cubic inches.? I think its possible to get it to 572, but how bout 600+ cid?

12. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If it is out of a bucket truck then it is probably a Tall Deck 427... you can make these into a 600 cube monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious how you've figured out you would get over 600 cubes!? What would the bore x stroke be?
    I've spent some time trying to figure that out before.. .100" over and a 4.5" stroker crank would yeild 535 cubic inches.? I think its possible to get it to 572, but how bout 600+ cid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may have to rock the block to get to 600, but I know it can be done because lots of guys at the drag strip do it. I believe it is someplace around 4.6" bore and 4.6" stroke and you get pretty close to 620 cubes. It is definetly not cheap to do, and does not make a streetable motor... but it can be done.