Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. bigblueblazer

bigblueblazer Registered Member

hmmm considering a 427 good idea or no and what should i look for to find one in as in what kind of car would i have to pull obe out of and is it worth it

if it dont smoke,guzzle gas or cost lots to fix it aint my chevy blazer.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

UH OH Tims goin off!!! I presonally think you should hunt down a 454. Few extra cubes and easier and cheaper to get parts for....... not that ANY BBC is cheap theyre all expensive. but a 27 is more pricey, and harder to find. Did you make a run w/ suncoast flatlanders yet? Keep me posted, maybe I'll join too.

PUREINSANITY If ya can't stop,Smile as you go under![​IMG]I no longer have a photo album. thanx ZING![​IMG]

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You can probably build one cheaper than finding a 'true' 427. Just find a 454 block and get a 396, 402, 427 crankshaft and there you have it.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Good point Wes! I'm ashamed of myself for not thinkin of that!!![​IMG]

PUREINSANITY If ya can't stop,Smile as you go under![​IMG]I no longer have a photo album. thanx ZING![​IMG]

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yup what Steve and Wes have said.... These days you don't build a 427... you kinda stumble on to one. 454's are much more common and easier/cheaper to find.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I still like the sound of 427 over 454 ........it just sounds cooler to me ever though it would be easier to find and do a 454 .

L8r,
    . Riz . <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</A>

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I dunno a 454 to me sounds better than a 427, a 468 sounds even better yet. Hmmm 496 just has a nice ring to it too. LOL
    I seen an article in a mag awile ago that had a 427 SBC but that aint realy a good 4x4 plant. Unless ya plan on running it at 4500 rpm all the time.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

8. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Personally I like the sound of 396 but try to find one of those.
    Shawnboy.

If you are having to much fun it's probably illegal.

9. FARTMAN

FARTMAN 1/2 ton status

take a 454 bore 100 thou. over ya got a 482 for cheap that will beat the socks outa a 427!!!!!! remember there is NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!!!!!!!!!! a stock iron headed big block will out horse power and torgue any stock block and head small block, 400 s.b can be built to 440 inches even 454 inches but that cost around $25k dollars run ya large one dude!!!!!!!!! THE FARTMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. bluethunder

bluethunder Registered Member

i know that some mid to late 60's corvettes came with 427's, other than that i am not sure where youd find one. but, those corvettes with 427's are pretty rare themselves, most came with a 327.

1996 Ford Explorer XLT
    4x4
    1.5" Lift
    Drilled Airbox
    30x9.50x15 BFG AT's
    8.8 With 3.73 LS
    Class III Hitch

11. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

gee, you mean a 482 cubic inch big block has more power a stock or 400? No way! Who wudda thunk?

12. 86K5inMN

86K5inMN Registered Member

My understanding is that due to the bore and stroke of a 427 they don't make peak horsepower until higher revs. The 454 will have more power and grunt down low where you need it in the dirt.

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I personally have no use for a small displacement big-block, a 396 doesn't make sense to me when you can have a small block with the same displacement, but.....I do have a 402 BB core sitting here in sunny western colorado if anyone feels the need for one. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image][/image]
    SW-ORD

14. xtremewlr

xtremewlr Registered Member

On Stephens note, I have a 396 BB long block that I need to get rid of. Came out of a '67 Chevelle. Used to be in my truck and needs a rebuild. Anyone interested, let me know.

todd@websidestory.com
    tkneass@home.com

15. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I agree w/riz. I've always thought "427" sounds cool. Even though I'd rather have a 454.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.thehungeronline.com>http://www.thehungeronline.com</A>

16. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Thanks BigTex, that's what I meant.

L8r,
    . Riz . <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</A>

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I would rather have a motor built by Bill Mitchell using the World Products Merlin blocks and heads to bore and stroke it to 638 cubic inches!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] And the best thing, it CAN be driven on the street while pulling 17 inches of vacuum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you say 800 ft.lbs. of torque boys and girls?!?!?!?! [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

18. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

HECK YEA DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW HIS ENGINES I DRAG RACE ALOT AND GO TO NMCA EVENTS,ALSO NSCA EVENTS NO REPLACEMENT FER DISPLACEMENT!!!!!

19. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

True 427s are RARE! They only were made from 1966-1969, mostly in Vettes, but they were also optional in Impalas, station wagons, etc. I have a 1967 427 crate motor in my '60 GMC 4x4 Suburban, I even have the original sales receipt for it from 1967, I think it was $832 or something like that. I'm replacing it with a 454 and think I'll just set the 27 in the back of the garage for my retirement!!! LOL!!!

ken

20. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I've also heard that 427's are more for high rpm's like drag racing. Not so much for mud and hill torque. Chevy has some great 454 crate motors specifically for torque and towing.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton