Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

429 into a Mark VIII

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 3 on the tree, Mar 15, 2006.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I know I read somewhere bout swap kits to put a 460 into a Fox body Mustang. I also rad that some MK VIIIs used the Fox platform. Anybody here know who makes the swap kits for this? I have decided that my 429 would look much better sitting in a MK VIII, than in its original 70 T Bird. Leather seats, 4 wheel discs, ABS, sunroof, and haul some serious butt. Maybe I'll put the 4 cam 4.6 inna S-10.:haha:

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

you say its got a 4 cam 4.6, so i assume its an 89 up mark VIII, most likely around a 96 model, which is not the fox body. it is the same as the 89 up tbirds and cougars. look for swap kits for that if you are hellbent on doing it. if it were mine, for the money id slap a vortec or paxton on it and call it done.

3. 3 on the tree

I am trying to stay AWAY from computer controlled powerplants. I already have the 429 and C6, so worst case I would need the swap kit, exhaust mods, and driveshaft work. I know there would be more involved than just 3 mods, but I can do the rest myself. Nothing beats cubic inches for low end torque.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Do it. Do it now!!!!!!!!!

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I think what "Ryan22RE" is trying to let you know is that your car is not on a Fox-Body plattform . Do not look for a "385" series motor kit in a Fox-Body, it will not work in your year Mark III as a direct bolt in.

I do not know of any professional kits that are made for that block style in a non Fox-Body late model Mark III platform. It might be D.I.Y.S. fab time .......

I see by your reply up above that you are using your 429 because you already own it but the 429's were not sought after for extreme low end torque if that is your goal. Have you considered offset grinding a 460 crank for some extra stroke? I am not saying that the 429 is not a good motor ( I think they are fine engines ) - I am just wondering why is it your choice for a low end torque motor. With such a short stroke and descent rod/stroke ratio they tend to make more power a little farther up the RPM range.

Tom

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  6. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

you could have a tubular k member made for the mark 8 with the correct motor mounts for your engine and it would also give you more room for header clearance.Let me know if you need a contact for tubular k members .

7. 3 on the tree

I know a properly built 460 will have more low end. However, I also like to wind it up every now and then. Factory TQ was rated at 470lbs,even if that is a gross #,by the time I cam it up, good intake and headers should put me right back net.

8. 3 on the tree

So, from what I am hearing, I should be shopping for a MK VII, with the 5.0, instead of a MK VIII with the 4.6???

9. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

yes the mark7 is a fox chassis car and most of the Mustang parts are interchangable.