Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

42's - How little lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

42\'s - How little lift?

Well after my other post about the 39.5's and the 42's I have decided that 42's just sound better. Plus that one quote about how tires are like titties and you always want a bigger set after playing with them for a while, keeps popping into my head.

And I do enjoy big titties /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Sorry back onto trucks again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How little lift can you use - incorporating proper bumpstops etc. - to fit 42" tires.

I am not past tubbing the rear (not tubing!) to make this work with a lower lift. I would just get rid of the bench seat and put 2 buckets in its place.

In the front my fenders are hacked to the max with the inners retained. If I had to I would have some new larger inners fabbed up but would rather not if it wasn't necessary. I would like to keep the inners because up here mud is a fact of life.

The front axle would be relocated 2" forward at least but I would consider adding an offset zero rate to move it forward more if the steering would not become an issue at that point. I want to keep the tire out of the firewall as much as possible. And a better approach angle would be great as well.

Would 7" be a reasonable goal to shoot for? What issues would I have at this height?

I could maintain a super flexy set-up using a 2" lift 52 up front with a zero rate and use good 'stops to limit the uptravel too much. It would have killer droop so that would help make up for the lack of up travel.

Then for the rear a combination of shackle flip, 63's, and zero rates. Tub the rear. Trim some fender.

How does that sound to you all? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Advice, opinions? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: 42\'s - How little lift?

I'm pretty sure Yunit's K5 (prior to cut up) was set up with 6" (4" suspension / 2" body) and 42's. I'm not sure what length springs or axle offset he was using though.

He has pics with detailed mapping of his fender cuts in the Member's Rides section.

3. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Would 7" be a reasonable goal to shoot for? What issues would I have at this height?

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

there is my 86 sitting on 7 inches of lift with some bent up rear 57's

here is a group shot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have 4" springs,a 2"body,axle in the stock location,no inner fenders,and 42-14 IROKs.

I havnt wheeled it yet but Im pretty sure they will rub the firewall with the wheels turned at close to full stuff.Im just gonna remove that pinch weld right there to smooth it out and call it good. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I've seen Yunits pic b4 and I'm not too far from it with my own trimming.

As far as Toby's set-up he has no body so the 2.5" lift would be no problem but I want to keep mine full bodied.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Micah runs 4" of suspension and 2" BL and he has 42's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Do you have any issues Jeff? What is your axle placement? Did you have to tub the rear or is there no rubbing?

Frizzlefry do you have any good pics to post up? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Micah runs 4" of suspension and 2" BL and he has 42's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a lot of Micahs threads saved /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's kinda why I was thinking 7" because I don't want to loose quite as much metal as he did lol. His ride would be quite a bit messier than I would like to clean up after a mud filled trail. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. 85mudblazin

What springs will you be running?? He has a very flexy suspension which is why he had to cut so much.

10. 85mudblazin

ow sorry nevermind I didnt read all of your first post, you might have a little trouble getting to 7" but it can be done, 4" from springs, zerorate, 2" BL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

The 52's up front should generate about 4-5" of lift. By using a 2" lift spring in it's place it should bring me up to about 6" and then the zero rate will be 7".

I think a set of 2" lift 52" alcans up front will be the hot ticket. Should be unreal flex and ride quality.

I just need to make sure there won't be any serious issues with this height/flex and tire size.

12. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Probably the same in the rear too. 2" lift 63" alcans. That should net me around the height I need.

Can anyone confirm the lift 63's will give you with a 4" flip?

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Does your K5 see much street use? Seems like I read on AustinK5 where Micah and Nonesuch stated the 52's handling characteristics might not be ideal for the street. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

It does now but hopefully not by the time these changes come about. I already do not enjoy driving it on the streets with the manual tranny and the detroit.

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

know a guy who runs 40's on 4 inchs of lift on his burb.

lots of trimmin /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I have 6" Alcans that move the axle forward 2" and can still fit my hand between the tire and firewall when the spring is fully compressed. The only thing I did not have with a full body was inner fenders, that may be an issue.

17. 85mudblazin

yea we have been debating over on AustinK5 how they will be on the street, me and a few others are going to try and run a swaybar up front and see how that works out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, Dan's old K5 is hammered. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

I've got 17.5" between the bottom of the front bumpstop (top of the rubber), and the top of my D60 axle tube, with 42"'s

As it sits (no tranny, t cases or winch and bumper) I would say it probably has 1-2" more lift that nessesary, however that's without any inners (going custom when I get the chance). I'm going to let it settle and see how things clear with a few hundred more pounds!

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Here's about 5.5" - 6" lift on 44's. You can check out my gallery for some more pics. Gona throw a zero rate in up front yet.

[​IMG]