Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

42's on 6" of lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Aug 16, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

42\'s on 6\" of lift

After being at Paragon this weekend I found out one thing. I need to go with bigger tires but I don't want to add much more lift. I have about 5" now and will add a 1" body lift. I already know I will have to lose a little sheet metal. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Most likely the inner fenders will come out. One of the things I am worried about is hitting the steering box when turning. 39.5's would be easy to do but 42's I'm just not sure about. Any advice on what to do????? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Re: 42\'s on 6\" of lift

Maybe 39.5's would be better. They're almost the same size. Just 2" shorter. Good luck. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

I have 6" suspension and 2" body with 42's and cut tons of fender out and can still touch the floorpan with the tires.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

My 42s just brush the steering box. I set my limits to keep the tires off the box.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run a six inch lift with 39.5's and they hit on the rocks but not very often. I am thinking of moving the axle forward a bit and maybe a 2" body lift.

6. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

wayne, we could test it on my truck first /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I've seen a couple of trucks with a 4" lift and 37s with some generous fender cutting. 6" and 39s should be workable, I think 42s is pushing it without some major surgery.

8. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I've got 38.5's 6"+2"body and have hella lots room for more rubba!
    Bill

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

My problem is tring to keep the truck somewhat street legal in this state. With 36's I am already over the bumper hight limit. I am planning to keep the 36's for driving use but it would be nice to be able to run 42's on the street once in a while. I think I am going to wind up with 39.5's.

10. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Wayne dont the ORD gurus run 42's? Might wanna ask them what they do. I wonder if someone could get a Heep steeering box that mounts on the interior of the frame and just run a custom cv style steering shaft.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    some generous fender cutting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I have found my alarm clock for next year's UCP run!! Just bring the 42's Wayne, and let Boss do the surgery for you...... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Brandy

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The ORD truck has MASSIVE fender mods and a totally custom suspension system that would cost more than most of us have in our entire rigs. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

13. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I will make it work for you wayne; just come on up and we can trim those pesky fenders and fab up some flares for you. Soon there will be a 2" body lift on my truck and swapping in some 63" springs in the rear. I have to adjust my front shocks for more droop and less compression. My rear springs are killing my articulation, with the 63's I should be able to get about at least a foot higher on the 30degree ramp at paragon.

Oh yeah...I am ordering the doubler on Monday, might be ready for the Paragon fall crawl.

14. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am running 38's with 2.5in lift and plan on going with 42's and no more than 6in lift this spring /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I got the flare part covered. I wish I would have looked at your cutting closer last weekend though. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

16. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Go for the 42's. You will never look back. I have 7" of susp. lift and a 1" body and did some major cutting on mine, but I have about 20" of travel in the front and 15-16" in the rear. I think 42's could work with 6" of lift. The key would be moving your axle up 1.5-2". On the front, in front of the tire it is easy to trim, just look at rocko's K5, but behind the tire you run into the cab which would be hard to trim. On the rear end, I think back spacing is key to not rubbing the inner fenderwells, but not having to trim up to the top. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I have 9" wide wheels w/ 3" back spacing, and the 42's dont hit the fender lip, but don't rub hard on the inner fender liner. They also don't hit the steering box, but they do hit my shocks on the front end.

17. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

my 76 only had 4" of lift when i first put it together. i had those 40's on it with 15x10 rims. hogged out the fender openings but very rarely hit. the front never hit the steering box at all! the rear tires would rub what was left of the fenders. [​IMG]

18. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Hey 79flatbed! Here are the pics of 8" lift &amp; 42" tires..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

why 42s?
    if you are going stupid sized tires why not go all the way to 44s?
    everyone on this site is "42s" and I dont see the why of it

20. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Hehe, of course I agree with MJ.... go 44's /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif Going with a 3" body lift will not raise you bumper height keep in mind. I can promise you that if you go with th 39.5"s you will only be creating another step in the endless chain. Even with a tall lift you would still chance kissing the steering box. This is of course if you get your steering to work to it's max. I'm running the 12" wide wheels on my truck with 3.5" back spacing. Even before when I had the 38.5's on the blazer on 4.5" backspacing wheels, in a hard turn I would rub the springs. No probs now though. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif My room mate has 6 +3 inches of lift and is running 42's I'll try to take some pics after I make the return trip with the blazer upstate. Keep us posted!
    Good luck,
    Mike