Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

42's vs 39.5's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

42\'s vs 39.5\'s

Ok, this is a question for all you big tire guys. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I'm at the point where I am deciding on what to do with my suspension. I now have to decide on whether to build for 39.5 tires or 42 tires. Both will have different suspension as well as different gearing.

Those of you with 39.5's, are you satisfied with them? Are they big enough to keep you from dragging your diffs across every obstacle? Do you wish you had gone bigger? Will your next set of tires be bigger or will you stay with what you've got?

Those with 42's, basically the same questions. Are you happy with your decision? Would you ever go smaller? If so why? Do you break a lot more parts than with 40's? Do you have trouble finding things to challenge yourself now? Would you rather smaller tires now and again to make the obstacles more difficult? Are you too tall now and more tippy in off-camber situations or were you able to keep your COG low enough with a small lift so it was negligable?

Also what wheelbase do you run? I am shooting for 112.5

Well on to the poll! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Re: 42\'s vs 39.5\'s

I run 38's right now, and I know that I can fit 39.5's w/ no problems on about 5" of lift. I will probably get 42's next, and anything that they hit will just get cut off! My K5 is currently at 117" of wheelbase.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I also run 38's but will have 39.5 IROKS next for more clearance. Im at 108" WB.

If I were starting all over I'd start with 42's.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have 38.5x16s now, next set will likely be 39.5x15, I like the way they fit.

Oh and 119" WB.

5. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

I have 39.5's, and 44's. I decided to go with the 44's, mostly just because I got them for cheap. I think I will probably with some 42" IROK's once I can afford cool-guy tires. If you have the money to get which ever you want, then just go with 42's. You'll want to later on anyway, so just go ahead and do it now.

PS... you should build the suspension to perform well. Cut to fit /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

42!'s.

Happy as ever with mine. They're reasonably priced "big" tires, not TOO wide, not narrow either. Same trade depth as a 44" TSL...it was a no brainer for me! I bought 5!

Heres my 42's (not even aired up) versus my friends fairly new 35" BFG's.

[​IMG]

mmmm....rubber. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I am facing the same delima right now /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif, but mine is more of which tire will keep my engine most happy, and im thinking that with 5.13's and 39.5's i will have more power than with the 42's, unless there is a real good reason to get the 42's /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    42!'s.
    Same trade depth as a 44" TSL

[/ QUOTE ]

39 = 25/32" tread depth
    42 = 27/32" tread depth

This is what sold me, I was going from 44's down to either a 39 or 42 and couldn't make up my mind. I finally decided on the 42 since they had just a little more tread.

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i run the 39.5in iroks right now and my next set will be the new 42in iroks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Just got and ran my new 42's saturday, love em. 117" wheelbase

11. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

im naked and high on drugs. once i go to 3/4 ton i think im going to a 42 in tire. im kinda impaitent so i might just ride on 42s with 10 bolties. and 3.37s /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I have 39.5" on my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif and will be going with 42" in the near future.

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I have 38's now and and plan to go 42's when my 38's wear out. MMMMMM.......big boobs......I mean tires! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I've got 39.5's right now and will probably get another pair after these wear out. I don't look at thread depth that mych becasue I will more than likely destroy them before I wear them out. I don't do much street driving so wear isn't much of an issue. As far as obstacles, I don't seem to have a problem getting over anything more than someone with a bigger tire. PLus the added weight and pure mass of the larger tire seems like it would be justthat much harder on drivetrain components.

A very big factor that you need to take into consideration is what types of trails and terrain are the people that are going to a bigger tire doing? If you see that those that run your type of trails are running the 39's and not having problems then stick with them. Bigger isn't always better.

Just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im naked and high on drugs. once i go to 3/4 ton i think im going to a 42 in tire. im kinda impaitent so i might just ride on 42s with 10 bolties. and 3.37s /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you mean 1 TON and not 3/4 ton cause your still gonna be on 10 bolt and 42's if your 3/4 ton. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif