Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

42's?????

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by realsquash, Feb 2, 2001.

1. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

42\'s?????

Stephen, you've just got to tell me how you plan on fitting those 42's with some real suspension travel and not crunching the body!

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: 42\'s?????

I'll have to let you know when I find out how to do it! Obviously sheet metal will be removed, but I'm also looking at moving the front axle forward a couple inches to keep them from hitting the tub, and then move the rear axle back a little to keep from having to do major hacking at the front of the opening. I'm removing the rocker panels anyway, but otherwise, that's all I know. It probably won't have inner fender wells, if it does, they'll be custom built for it. I don't think I'll have to take more than a few inches out of the top of the openings.....

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like a "hack job"! Hacking off lots of sheet metal and parts. Bet this will look like something out of the "Road Warrior" movies!!!

4. Stephen

The important "look" is the view from the top!

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

5. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

And only those that make it have that "LOOK"

Keith

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Moving the front axle forward is a good idea, but you'll probably have to do some modifications to the radiator core support. My 39.5's have been grabbing at it. If I remember correct, you run a diesel radiator? If so, you could have a possible interference problem on the driver side. As for the no inner fenders, it gets a bit messy, but as an added bonus you can change the plugs without opening the hood. Seems the heater doesn't work quite as good in the winter, though.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Pete!

Do you have a website or any pics of your rig? I'd love to see how 39.5's look with a 3" lift! I have similar tire plans with my 4" lift.

Richard
    Raleigh, NC
    '90 K-5 Blazer - stock, daily driver
    '76 K-5 Blazer - 14-bolt FF, 4.10's, locked front and rear, 36's, SM465/NP205

8. Stephen

I hope to strike a balance between the core support and the tub. The diesel radiator plugged up beyond repair so it's had a narrower one in it and will probably keep a narrower 2 core aluminum. Hopefully the linked up suspension will give a little better geometry control than leaves do too, but it sounds like modifying the core support and maybe the firewall could be in order. We'll see. I'm reserving the right to cut back to the 39.5's, or even 38's if I don't like the way it works with the 42's.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If it were me, I'd try modifying the core support instead of the cab. I had to beat on the front corners of the floor board with a sledge for tire clearance, and I can still rub the tires on the cab a bit. The battery tray mounting (both sides) also needs to be reinforced when removing the inner fenders. I've been toying with the idea of a grill swap and core mods to improve the approach angle. My bumper is bent back enough on both sides that I can get the tires to hit it.

Rich, there's a pic of my truck posted in the main K5 forum under "Who's got the baddest K5 on CK5" (or something like that).

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Here's a pic of Stephen's K5 with 42's, very nice. Did I mention I sell electronic windshield stickers. [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

11. Stephen

Thanks for the post Mr. curb feeler!
    That's it, obviously no fenders have been cut more than enough to clear the 37's, but we're oozing ever close to the big event. I'm thinking it'll be a big beer and pizza night, then we'll use the sawsall as the entertainment!
    SW

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

12. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Man oh man you're gonna just about have to remove the fenders!!! I am running 42" swampers on my 88 crecab dually with 10" lift and don't flex it (who off-roads dually crews anyways?) and it rubs just going up the driveway when turned. I gotta cut the piss outta the fenders at 10" lift...and what do you have, 6"?? Whew!!! Just remove the fenders and be done with it!!!! ;)

ken

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Or even bolt on some Bushwacker cut-out flares. My 82 K30 rides on 6" lift and 39" Mickeys. It has the cut-out flares and has lots of clearance.

14. Re: 42\'s?????

I found that the sawzall was really only good for the first pass. After that I had to use a 4" angle grinder w/a cut off wheel because the sheet metal moved so much. On the rear, you can get a little extra clearance by beating the inner fender horizintal (it curves down) after cutting the edge loose. I'd but some ear plugs, it'll give you one hell of a headache otherwise. :D

Pete

15. Stephen

They'll almost fit without cutting the top of the fender, at least to within a couple of inches, doh!
    There's going to be a lot of fender removal. They'll probably end up just skins fastened to the tubework instead of being held on with the factory liners. That's how we did my stock car and it's pretty handy. Even thought about Dzus fasteners, but probably just do some 6pt dome heads or something. It'll be a learning experience.
    I've had good luck with the sawsall and a 1/2" belt sander to do the final cleanup. You only cry once, then it's easy.......Luckily cutting for the 37's was bad enough, I'm not scared now. Besides, the bedsides are all dented and fenders are fairly cheap.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

16. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

wait a minute here.....your pic in four wheeler didnt have the ColoradoK5.com sticker in it, and it looks like the pic was taken at the same place the one on this thread was taken......is steve using you to sell stuff?? lol

i agree with the 42's and 10 bolt point....we all know that at TTC that wouldnt cut it!!! good luck, i voted for ya...

AIRBORNE!!

17. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd just like to say that your jimmy looks awsome! You have 6 inches of lift right? It doesn't look like too much trimming was done to fit the 42. If you have any, I'd really want to see some fender trim pix cause i wanna run 40s with a 6 inch lift and would like to see how much trimming would need to be done. I've been reading fourwheeler for about 4 years now and this will be the first time i'm gonna vote. I'm voting for you for sure and hope that you'll make it to cali and win.

Good luck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

18. Re: 42\'s?????

The fenders are only trimmed to fit 37's right now, and in the picture. The cutting is real similar to Steve Fox's new job on his K5. We really can't leave the truck sitting in the middle of the shop floor, so we're gathering all the parts and building brackets, etc, so when it's ready, we can roll it in and put it together. At that point, we'll remove the inner fenders, put the 42's on and start cutting the outer fenders. The goal is to have it ready to go with the newer stuff by Easter for Moab. It's not going to look the same, I'm a little sad to be cutting it for real now, it's always looked kind of like a sleeper, but it's going to be an obviously stompy rig now. No hiding the fact anymore.
    Thanks for the vote, we're really anxious to go, it should be a real kick. I'd love to be the first winning fullsize!