Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

42x14 iroks on a 14 wide?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fishhook, Dec 15, 2004.

1. fishhook

fishhook Newbie

42x16.5x14 Iroks on 16.5x14's.

Has anyone seen or done this?Draw backs or reasons not to do it?

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

It'll loose the bead easier and it's going to look stupid.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Thats asking to blow a bead on a 16.5 rim. Other than that the other reason I can think of "not to" do it is the extra cost of the rims.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It would probably look really good as long as the tread is near 14" wide also on that tire. It would be easy to pop a bead aired down though. I wouldn't worry at all at full PSI. I've never popped a bead on my 16.5x14's on 35x16's plowing through mud or spinning donuts at 30 psi.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

11.44" tread width. I think it would look silly. I put some 18.5 - 44 tsl's on 14" wide wheels and it is borderline silly.

6. fishhook

fishhook Newbie

I am already running the 16.5x14's so thats not an issue.Reguardless of personal opinion of the looks( I personally like the balloned look), at full pressure would there be any draw back/probs?Basically a DD and mud. No rocks, so no need to run low pressure.

Has anyone seen or have any pics of this set up?

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

You don't have to run rocks to blow a bead, mud ruts are just as good at doing that.

8. rjfguitar

This isn't the place to be asking about 14's....I learned the hardway. Send me a PM if you can and I will answer your questions. I personally think any tire with a tread width of 13" or more is a candidate for 14's. An extremely popular combo around here is the 33x15.50 SX on 14" welds in either a 15" or 16.5". You will be fine as long as you don't air down those IROKs. BTW, what rims are you running? Welds? :cool:

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'm running 38.5x16.16.5 Bias Ply TSLs on 16.5x12 M/T classic II. The recommended rim width for these as molded on the side of the tire is 9.75. I personnally like running a wider rim but my side walls are much more exposed and they have some pretty massive cuts to prove it. I also worry constanly about blowing a bead, though I haven't yet. If I had it to do over again, I would run the rim size recommended by the tire company, period.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've blown three beads this year on my 13/38 TSL's on 16x10 rims with 15 lbs. in them.........not a rock in sight during any of them. Also, lower air pressure can give you more traction in mud.

I just don't think 14" wide rims are the hot ticket for a 14" wide tire, unless you are just going for looks (if you even like the super wide rim look........). Personally I wouldn't put them on anything wider than a 10".

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i seen 35x12.5 on 12" rims, it looked like ****, the side wall looked like ( ) the tread width was only 10.5" wide. a 10" wheel would be alot better choise.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I really don't see the point of getting 42" off-road tires that you can't air down because you went for "looks" instead of function. Doesn't make any sense to me :dunno:

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

14" wide Irok's on 14" rims are going to look rediculously stupid. Not to mention completely non-functional.

14. fishhook

fishhook Newbie

Again, draw backs, affect on the tire; wear,balance etc, not what you think it would look like(to each his own as far as that goes).Obviously a 14 wide is not a favorite BUT, would it, other than airing down, have an affect?

15. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

You are going to be bending wheels and loosing beads offroad. You are going to wear the outside lugs more than usual; and since the outside lugs are planted harder you are going to see more road noise and vibration untill they wear down. But then again you bought Iroks so you arn't conserned with wear...right? You do realize that the Irocs are one of the softest tires out there. They arn't going to last long on the road anyways. Hell I'm probubly going to only get 20K miles out of my TSL's...The Irocs are much softer....

Sell the 14" wide wheels to some mall cruzer and get yourself some 10" ers.

16. fishhook

fishhook Newbie

THATS what I was looking for, thanks

( I havent bought them yet, got crappy MT baja's now....too small, suck and they gotta go)

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

As far as I am concerned, not being able to air down is a major factor. If all you want to do is drive to the mall, you'd be fine...just watch out for curbs.

18. rjfguitar

If a guy runs a 42" Irok on 14's soley for looks, and it does look good than that tire is fulfilling it's job. If someone buys a big set of boggers soley to go through a bigger hole that he couldn't make it through with BFG's...and he makes it with the boggers than the tires have done their job. If a rock crawler goes with a set of 42's so he can clear a rock he couldn't with his old 38's, than that tire has done it's job. If a guy buys an IROK so the truck will look better and it does look good...the tire has done it's job. It's as simple as that. :xmas: Just because you would use the tire for only offroading doesn't mean the same tire is usless for the next guy that wants the truck to look agressive, he just wants it for a different purpose. ;)

fishhook,
    Your 14's will work fine with the 42's. Run them, enjoy them, and if it looks good to you thats all that matters. ;)