Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

434 smallblock q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ben427, Jan 23, 2004.

1. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

434 smallblock q\'s

Im really thinking about a 434 smallblock for my street truck. I found a decent price on a crank and rods. But im having a hard time with pistons. Im looking for around a 9.5-10:1 compression ratio but the lowest i can find pistons for is 10.7. This engine needs to run on 92 octane, and even with a good cam, id say that is too high to make it possible. Anyone know any good piston sources?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: 434 smallblock q\'s

Hmm, Not sure about the pistons... Have you tried Jegs and Summit? 434's are animals! I have seen one with a 6-71 blower in a truck built for sand and it was a torquey beast. I wish I would have gone ahead and stroked my 406 when I was considering it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I cant find anything through them, so I checked out JE pistons catalogue, tried Keith black, but their site has been under construction since the summer. I wasnt thinking anything too serious, roller cam and valvetrain, Pro topline or dart aluminum heads, as long as i have 550 lb ft of torque just off idle ill be happy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Talk to your local machine/speed shop. These guys know what to get and where to get it. They might even have access to stuff the average joe can't get.

You could also look here http://www.pawengineparts.com

The catalog I have here is bigger than my phone book and has all knids of stuff.

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Check w/engine shops such as Scott Shafiroff or Sonny's. I had Shafiroff's order some custom JE's for my 468 when I couldn't find any off the shelf. Just hang onto your wallet. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You might be ok with those pistons,Maybe a thicker head gasket and a little cumbustion chamber work to get the final comp.Ratio down, 10.7 is not that high if you run 92 octane...

7. mudjunkie 82

Also try Ross pistons, They will build custom ones ,Probably looking at 700.00 for a set.

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I will look around and send you some information....I am contemplating this myself. I have not found the 'right' piston I would be happy with either.

I am going to talk with a machine shop about the parts needed, because with such a large stroke I want everything to clear the first time.

Feel free to share information either in here or via PM or E Mail, I would like to hear what you have come up with also.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yep, good idea. I was looking at the crank and rods from theengineshop.com. Forged crank and forged 6 inch rods. I remeber someone recommending the ohio piston company (nylen?) for a good set of custom pistons.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

11. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Im really thinking about a 434 smallblock for my street truck. I found a decent price on a crank and rods. But im having a hard time with pistons. Im looking for around a 9.5-10:1 compression ratio but the lowest i can find pistons for is 10.7. This engine needs to run on 92 octane, and even with a good cam, id say that is too high to make it possible. Anyone know any good piston sources?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the head and the cam. If you want 10:1 with a 76cc head it'll have to be a custom, because you'll need a dish piston. If you run a good aluminum head with the right chamber, and enough cam, you can run 10.7:1 if you don't lug the engine. I looked through my catalogs and checked with everyone I buy from and there just isn't a dish piston for your setup on the shelf, unless you run a short rod and that is too hard on the cylinder wall.

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Really the only ones I have found are made by the 'high end' outfits. I am going to make a phone call for this part if I ever get serious about this....

13. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yeah i noticed that too. I think ill end up getting a set of pistons made.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah i noticed that too. I think ill end up getting a set of pistons made.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an option, or machining a dish into a flat top piston has been done before.

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

flatlander had really good service, on pistons (i think it was pistons anyway) they would beat any price you could find. I got my pistons rods and crank from em, give em /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I have searched a bit, but I am having a difficult time finding write ups on this. Along with a list of parts.

This requires a special oil pan to clear the crank - correct?

17. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

just outta curiosity what is the bore & stroke for a 434? I mean what parts do you use? Im assuming a 400 block.

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

4 inch stroke x 4.155 bore....

19. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yeah everything i saw needed a special oilpan, Moroso and milodon have a couple nice ones im looking at.

And i found a set of pistond that will give me a 10:1 on the money, but id need to use a 5.85 rod, whih is more $$$, id rather go 6" but ill go the shrter rod route if i have to.

20. mudjunkie 82

For your pistons j/e makes a set for that bore and stroke. p/n 181955 They are 12.9 to 1 with 58cc Chamber.A little high for the street. Figured I would give you this info for reference. Im sure they could make you a set......