Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4340 shafts for a d60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Nov 11, 2003.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I have a d60 and 14bff with 4.56's (will be going to 5.13's sometime) a detroit in the rear and there will be a detriot in the front. I have a stock 350 TBI but I will be souping it up soon with probably a cam and intake and then later down the road building a strong 350 or 383. Right now I have 39.5's, but I will be going to 44's. I will also be upgrading to 35 spline outers. I will be doing mud and trails and some rocks.

I have not yet wheeled my truck since I did the lift and axle upgrade. So my question is will I need the 4340 shafts or will the spicer ones do? I would also go to the CTM joints if I did the 4340 shafts. Assume that I am really hard on the gas pedal. I don't mind spending the money if it is necessary, I just want to do it right the first time.

Will I need to go to 4340 shafts on the inners too?

Will I have to go to drive flanges or will hubs do?

Also if I do the shafts and u-joints and flanges, will I be endangering my ring and pinion too much? Because I would rather change shafts than put in a new ring and pinion.

If I had to move the weak link somewhere I would like for it to be the driveshaft u-joint other than somewhere in the axle.

Basically what do I need to do to my front axle to make it unbreakable?

One last question, is there a good chance that I will break the 14 bolt? Should I do anything to beef it up or should I just carry spare axleshafts.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions, but I am just trying to get this straightened out and get some kind of game plan.

Trey

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would run the Superior inners and outers. They are the nicest production shaft I have seen. I'm going to run them in the willys 60 front, but 40 spline /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Whats the diameter gonna be on those Jason?? are they 1.5 inch still or bigger?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, superior makes a great shaft... even the guys over at por who do silly Im-gonna-TRY-to-break-my-d60 crazy chit like them. There are some interesting new 40 spline things coming out (some at sema etc) for the d60 as well... I dunno, Im not going any bigger than 39.5 in the forseeable future, so a regular old 35-splined 60 is enuff for me... maybe when I have $ again, the trick 40 spline stuff will be readily available...

j

5. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

How much do the 35 and 40 spline axles cost, and what would have to be changed to put 40 splined axles in?

If I was to run the 35 spline superior inners and outers and CTM u-joints, will I need drive flanges or will hubs do?

What about the ring and pinion, are they the next weakest link? I hate to upgrade stuff if I am just gonna be tearing out the ring and pinion?

Trey

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

after u joints and shafts the hubs are the next weakest link. Personally someday when I got a little farther I will go with drive flanges. One less thing to break. But then you do have to wonder whats gonna break if it happens, I'm not near the breaking my d60 phase yet though. Need my big block and 42+ tires first. To run 40s would require a differen't carrier(obviouslly to accept the 40 splines, and new hubs I guess though I'm sure jason knows more here.

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You could run the premium 35 spline locking hubs but I would run drive flanges from Poly Performance. I'm going to use them and have them broached to 40 spline. Tractec is coming out with a 40 spline detroit for the dana 60 which is what I'm going to use. The 40 spline stubs are a larger diameter so you will need new spindles. I'm going to make my own spindles and hubs and use larger bearings. But I'll be building everything but the actual dana 60 center section which will be a rockcrusher.

I think the 35 spline inners and outers are around 1400 then you still have to buy CTM's.