Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

44 inch tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4manK5, May 7, 2002.

1. 4x4manK5

4x4manK5 Registered Member

What is the best 44 inch tire for daily drivin? Such as Ground Hawgs,Boggers, or cepek FC Kevlar, thanks.

2. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

if your running 44s it shouldnt be a daily driver

3. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I think you'll get the most wear from Ground Hawgs but I could be wrong. I don't think that 44"s are inappropriate for a daily driver, just think about where you need to drive/park and whether that will be possible with 44"s /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Aaron

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Fill out your profile. What axles etc. are you running?

5. 4x4manK5

i would be runnin 3/4 tons axles, if you think 44's are to big for daily drivin,then what would be the biggest practical size for daily drivin?thanks

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I would say that on the 10 bolt/d44 front axle, you wouldn't want to go higher than 36's, unless you intend not to wheel it.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It's a personal call but I wouldn't run anything bigger than 35s on a daily driver regardless of the axles. Balance problems, wear problems, ride problems in general, cost, safety, longer stopping distance, high chance of rolling in an accident, getting in and out becomes a PIA, legal issues, and on, and on. Just loading groceries, kids, camping gear, etc. becomes a chore.

IMO, running 44s (or anything like it) on a DD is only useful for wowing the kiddies at the mall. You asked for opinions, there is mine. The biggest tire for a DD is an entirely personal choice depending on what you plan to do with it and what compromises your willing to make.

8. 4x4manK5

What kind of legal issues are there? sorry for all the questions im kinda new to all this and wanted 44's baad.

9. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Im not raggin on your choice im just saying i think that there are so many issues it would be ridiculous to runn 44s on a daily driver i would probably not run bigger than 37s, dont get me wrong though i would love 44s

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You need to fill out your profile so we can answer that question.

What state do you live in?

I also wouldn't go over 36" for a DD...esp. w/ a 10B or D44.

11. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

If you want to run some tall meats on your ride than do it.If you can handle the compromises than go for it.I would run a Swamper but not boggers.These are really noisy!I think the tallest radial Swamper is a 38-15.50.This would work good for a DD.As for the axles atleast run a 3/4 ton set up for the street.

12. BadDog

There are legal issues which vary depending on where you live. Frame height, bumper height, tire stick out, light height, etc. are often controlled under law.

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

A good tire to look at might be the new Truxas STS from Interco. It is the first A/T tire they have made and they make them up to 44" I think.

14. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

im with baddog on this one but i would ok up to 35 with 1/2 ton gear 38" with 3/4 ton and 40 or even 44 with 1 ton and disk brakes all around
    By the way how Fat is you Walllet cause to do it right gets reall pricy im talking 4-5 g thats just to keep it basically safe and legal
    before U get 2 crazt with it ask some body around were you live for a ride in one and all the problems they have with it this im sure will make u really decide if it s worth it

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hey, you said you're new to this. Here's my opinion. If you're looking into picking up girls on a saturday night on the cruise around town, then 44's might work for you.

Now if you ever wheel it in anything besides very sloppy watered down mud, you're going to shatter that 3/4 ton front axle. No bull.

I think that for people really new to wheeling, ya need to take your trucks out stock a few times to see what it's really about and get a firm grip on what you want to modify. It sounds to me like you're stuck on the buzz that goes on over at four wheeler and 4WOR magazines. Hang around here a while or go over and ask the same question on POR. They'll straighten you out /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. BadDog

Oh BOY would they have fun with this one. Your crewel! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

17. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

hope you have a fat wallet cause after you spend a few G's puttin lift tires gears then there is the thing called go go juice and here is socal it is supposed to rise 50 cents by summer!!!

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you don't mind doing some fender trimming this is what I would do (if your laws allow it). I would do a 6" suspention lift with a 1" body lift on new poly body bushings and stuff a set of 39.5's or 42's on. I now have 38.5's on about 5" of lift and no body lift with just minor trimming. They do rub pretty good when flexed out but I have not had time to trim more. I am not planning to go any bigger then 38.5's so I will not be adding any more lift to it. One thing you need to consider is when you start going above 6" of suspention lift there are going to be alot of driveline issues to deal with.

19. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

IMLAO 44's are to much it's gonna cost some serious $bling$ $bling$. like at least $5 g's and that being very conserative, to stuff 44 under yer blazer when all is said and done.

20. 4x4manK5

I decided to just go for 38" Radial TSL or Ground Hawgs i had no clue there was almost a 200 dollar difference per tire between the 38's and the 44's,thanks for the help, oh yeah basically up here in georgia all we got is mud so i think my axles should be ok,