Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

44" tires and No susp. lift possible?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87superblaze, Jan 4, 2002.

1. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

44\" tires and No susp. lift possible?

This might be a dumb question but.... is it possible to but 44" tires on a blazer frame with NO suspension lift. The issue I'am worried about is the tires hitting the springs.

I was wonsering because I am in the process of building a woods / offroad-only truck. It's a mainly stock chevy frame with a 1938 pickup body on it. I was hopping to get a set of 44's on it. Body clearance won't be a problem....the torch takes care of that!!!

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Re: 44\" tires and No susp. lift possible?

sure it is...haven't you seen the s10 and toyota pu bodied full size hybrids that run tellico and the south? In general the formula is full size frame, 0 to 4" lift, downsize cab, no fenders, no bed, 40-44" tires, and a chev small block....do a search for hybrids on www.pirate4x4.com

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

3. 87superblaze

Re: 44

Hey thanks! I didn't know about such vehicles. I'll search the website for more info.

BTW. It's a 1938 F**d Pick up( I know, I know) on a 1979 chevy frame. 350/350, 14 bolt. Should make a nice Woods/Hunting truck. I'll try to get some pictures.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't know if it's possible with no lift. I'm going to do it with add a leafs all around a 3" body one day. I think it will work for a trail truck with enough hacking.

I doubt the tires will hit the springs. Wheels that wide are usually offset to the point that they won't even get near the springs. Plus, lifting a truck doesn't move the springs out of the way anyway.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. 87superblaze

I know lift doesn't move the springs out of the way but I read some article where they had to add wheel spacers to get their 44's to fit without the lugs hittting the springs. Even with the spacers there was hardly enough room. Right now I only remember that it was a 1 ton rig.

6. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I have to run 3.5 inch back spacing wheels to make the tires clear the springs when the wheels are fully turned. The only thing in the way of running 44's on a stock truck is body clearance. If you are sure that won't be a problem then go for it. Keep in mind stock springs don't flex all that great due to the negative arch.
    Good luck,
    Mike

The jeep eater ......[​IMG]

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

44s with no lift on a full size GM anything will hit the core support, fire wall, and wheel tubs in the back. My goal, if I can find tires, is to run 44s on my truck with 4" lift. The lift is not to clear the tires (for me), it is to provide better suspension geometry and flex. You don't want to run the front reverse arch springs. Anyway, to make 44s fit, remove the front fenders (forget cutting), hack most of the core support out of the way (basically leaves just enough for the radiator, but that's all you need right?), move the cab back (or EXTENSIVELY modify the firewall), and remove the bed (flatbed?). Voila, 44s and little or no lift. This is what I am doing, and, essentially what the hybrid rigs are doing but they swap on the S10 cab to cut down on width and at the same time they move it back. Eventually I want to ditch the body all together and do a tube buggy.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. fender

fender Registered Member

It's not a chevy, but Scott Ellinger from ROCKSTOMPER built this...toyota with about no lift and 44s. It's got coils front and rear...notice how the hood had to be trimmed for tire
    clearance.

http://www.rockstomper.com/images/products/custom/shopjunk/hybrid/disk4/

-fender-

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

There was a Blazer in Petersons a LOOONG time ago that had little lift, and 44s. I am thinking late 80s- early 90s maybe. He had to tub out the rear like a drag car and do pretty much the same up front. (cut into the fire wall, cut the radiator support ETC) I dont remember the details of it, like what size lift he used and such,but I do remember it was yellow and maybe from PA. He had to do it to be legal w/ the lift laws.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

10. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Very possible if you are running a pickup cab. You will have to move the cab backwards to give the tire room at the firewall, lose the fenders and cut the core support even with the front frame rails and then support it somehow, like with rods from the cab to the support at an angle (like a model A F**D did and lose the bed completely. Like said previously I would lean towards a 2.5 to 4 in lift to get rid of the reverse arch front springs and shackle flip the rear with factory leaves. Your rims will have to have minimal backspacing I am sure maybe in the 2.5 inch range to miss the steering box on a right hand turn (plus you could run 1" backspacing on the rear and have the tires even without using spacers). Other than that it seems very real. Larry Dagan runs 42's with a pickup cab and flat bed on the rear in the original position with approx. 4" of lift. He cut the weld seam off the fire wall and welded it up smooth so it would not cut his tires, so with 2" more tire I would say move the cab back 2.5 to 3" beat the weld seam in the fire wall over with a hammer so it will not cut the tire, build a simple, light flat bed and get it awn.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

11. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Yea that one in the mag. a long time ago had like a 1" lift and lots of cutting.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

12. fender

fender Registered Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Larry Dagan runs 42's with a pickup cab and flat bed on the rear in the original position with approx. 4" of lift. He cut the weld seam off the fire wall and welded it up smooth so it would not cut his tires, so with 2" more tire I would say move the cab back 2.5 to 3" beat the weld seam in the fire wall over with a hammer so it will not cut the tire, build a simple, light flat bed and get it awn.

<hr></blockquote>

pics:

http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/2/33/81/20123381GGwKEGDMjE_ph.jpg

-fender-

13. 87superblaze

Thanks for the info! The ford Pickup cab and fenders won't be a problem though. The cab is so narrow that it barrly hangs over the side of the frame rails!!! It's just wide enough to fit two people in the cab. Like I said the body won't be a problem at all.

I need to know about the chassis more than anything. It sounds like you all recommend at least 2-4" of lift. I really hate to lift it because as it is with stock tires, the cab is about 7' tall.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, I somehow missed that "3" and read "88 pickup body" Oh well, point is still valid, but you can put the cab anywhere you need, then build your own core support and bed.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.