Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

440 in a chevy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FMJ, Dec 29, 2004.

1. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

I'm new here, and I wanted to get some opinions on putting my 440 into a chevy. I bought a 85 dodge last summer and I started doing a restoration and had plans for it to be a big ol' mud truck, but then i realized that I hate dodge. I already have everything for the 440 so its to late to get rid of that (I think 440's are good engines anyways) so I'm thinking of a couple differnt things:
    1. Use my dodge frame and drivetrain and stuff and maybe put a chevy body on it?
    2. just put the 440 and the d60's in a chevy
    3. kill myself because i bought a dodge

I'm just looking for opinions, I mean I payed way to much for a dodge that needed a new engines, cab, bed, passenger fender, and a bunch of other smaller stuff. I would lose a lot of money, but putting so much money into somthing i don't like jsut doesn't make sense.

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have been playing around with RB engines for over 20 years, and I think they are actually better than Rat engines. That being said, You are opening a really big can of worms with this one. If your Dodge has the 203 transfer case, maybe you could mock up starting with the transfer case and go forward. The biggest problem will probably be exhaust clearance, and oil pan. Find a Dart and make a drag/street car with the 440, then you can sell it for enough to put a Rat in its natural home.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I think it would be cool to use a 440. You will catch some **** for asking it on this site, but that would be something neat. what transmission and transfer case does the dodge have?

4. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

it has a NP-435 and a 208 t-case but i could steal my friend 203 probably.

5. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

I should mention, i do have some metal skills, welders, and the stuff i cant do I know people who can.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I would say forget the 203 if you are starting from scratch. It is bigger, heavier, weaker, and gets worse mileage than a 205 (both have the same 1.96 low gear). One thing to think about is the 440 only has a 3.75" stroke (which I beleive is the longest stroke of any BB Chrysler). A 454 has a 4.00" stroke. This tends to make a torquier motor, not to mention the ease of everything bolting right up (motor mounts, wiring harness, etc.). I hate to say it, but I can't imagine putting a Dodge motor into a Chevy ever being worth your time and money, even if it is built and ready to go.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would look for a 70 to 74 Challanger too put that 440 into.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there is a guy local that has a 440 hemi on a blazer frame with a new s10 body on it. at the last mud bog, no one was make it barely halfway. he showed up with paddle tires on and glided across in 2wd with the paddles 4 times. hes making some serious HP

i say drop the 440 in a blazer with a 727 tranny, 205 tcase and let'er rip.

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Car Craft did a build up of all the domestic big blocks a few years back-guess which one had the most torque- the 440, and it was only down about 10HP from the highest HP. Chrysler rated the 440Mag at 490ft lbs of torque, so I'd say torque output is as good as a Rat. On the top end, the Rat heads flow better so the max HP is higher, but not the torque.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont know..........

Its going to be a LOT of work to put a mopar motor in a GM truck--whether you just put the motor in,or put the GM body on the dodge chassis,its going to be quite an undertaking(and it will still be a dodge in GM clothing!)---I know of one guy that has a truck identical to my 74 GMC K20--one day I saw him at the parts store I worked at,and he had the hood open,adding a quart of oil--I was very suprised to see a 460 ford motor sitting in the engine bay!--he had a rotted ford F-350 4x4 and a nice 74 2wd GMC cab and bed--he put all the GM sheetmetal on the ford's chassis!!..he said it was a lot of work,and he had to go thru an act of congress to get it titled and registered,due to the 2 trucks being made into one,and he didnt think he'd ever do it again,mostly due to the red tape from the registry of motor vehicles...and he likes chevies better anyway!:crazy:

So its up to you--are you up for all the blood,sweat,and tears it will take to make this combo work??--I think the 440 would be better in a dodge dart or other muscle car,or in a ramcharger( I've had a few rides in a 440 equipped ramcharger,and it was a STRONG runner!!)--I used to want to swap different motors that never came in my trucks,like an olds or buick 350-455 I had the chance to get for cheap money,but after just swapping pretty much the same chevy motor into my trucks,and seeing how many things arent the same even on similar engines,I dont think I'd want to re-invent the wheel and create motor mounts,etc,from scratch--its hard enough bolting one in that was made for it in the truck!!!..You can put anything into anything if you have torches,time,welder,and MONEY--but dont spend a fortune building a truck the DMV wont let you register and drive--seen it happen many times around here...:crazy:

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I dont see it being that big of a deal, if you have it..... work with it, just make shure you have the patience and time to go though with it.

the t-case/tranny mount will be cake work, and you can go as far forward or back as you need with out too many headaches. Fo rthe motor I would look into some race style hard mount, or poly mount mopar engin brackets. The just cut the braket's lower half and weld it to the frame where needed. I would make shure to reinforce it though, and take frame flex or stress points into mind,

are frames are so basic, there is no reason you cant swap this in with out too many problems, the wiring is cake work as well in my opinion. As long as you are not trying to do FI it should be no swett.

I also think swapping the drive train into the chevy is alot easier then plcaing a chevy body on a dodge frame, that sounds like alot more fab time to get it to look and work right..

I say go for it, good luck if ya do!

-shawn

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

but its an uglyass motor :rotfl: :whistle:

fords and mopars, even olds and pontiac, look goofy next to a chevy.. valve covers, dizzy, etc... nothing looks as stout as a BB cheb...

and this coming from someone whos built a dozen Mopar musclecars... my first passion...i was so hardcore and loved taking on chevys...

i eventually bailed on em cause they where just substantially pricier for aftermarket stuff... that and i find GM's engineering to be more consistent... Mopar did some goofy stuff.....

[​IMG]

13. stevewix

stevewix Registered Member

take option 3!!!

naah j/k go buy an old tahiti jet boat that needs a motor for $1k
    put the 440 in it, buy a junkyard 350 and run IT in your truck lol.

you'd have a blast! the 440 is an awesome jet boat motor.

14. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

There are 440's, there are Hemi's, but I have never heard of a 440 Hemi. There are 426 Hemi's...

15. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i am unformiliar w/ the 440-hemi also:D .

i just put a caddy 500 in my k5 & it was not that bad, if u are up for building custom engine mounts. the main thing is making sure u have clearance around it.

i wouldn't put a dodge engine in a chevy though, i would never hear the end of it from the only local dodge guy i know.

16. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

The thing is, I can't really give up on my dodge, so right now I am either going to build the dodge or put a chevy body on it. I know it would be a lot of work but I can handle that better then spending a ton of money on rust free body parts for my dodge. I'm just thinking that if I can find a chevy frame somewhere or get some measurments on one, I can make new mounts and bolt them on where they are supposed to go, and then do a 3 inch body to clear anything that might get in the way. Then for steering I was just going to do hydro assist, and I can't imagine brakes would be that bad. I would probably end up getting a 727 and a 203 if I do decide to do this. If it the chevy body doesn't work out, I'm just going to get the dodge done and start over with a real truck. I really hate myself for not jsut getting a chevy in the first place.:mad:

17. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i was told there was, but im not to big of a dodge guy so i don't know. the owner said it had a 440 and i think his buddy said it was a hemi :dunno: :dunno:

18. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

lol, he said 440 HEMI!!!

It's a 440 Wedge, 426 Hemi!

i got a '70 Challenger w/ a built 360...

But I say stay loyal with the brand and the motor. You want a dodge engine? Put it in a Dodge. Want a chevy truck? Put a chevy motor in it.

19. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

426's are by far the most commonly known... started in 64, i believe... once knew a guy who had 6 in his basement... :eek:

the 413 is its immediate predecessor... late 50's, early 60's...

actually the first gen of hemi's came out after WW2. 330's and such i believe.. the original hemi was actually made for fighter planes...

20. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

nah, there are two 426s... The 426 HEMI(commonly known, rare)

then there is the 413('61-'64) and then the 426 Wedge('63-'64) these had a Max Wedge option. They were absolutely Ferocious drag strip competition that ate the competition alive!

And the Max wedges are even Rarer then the hemis!