Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

445 Big Block

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Nov 28, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Was the 445 Big Block a very good engine? Reason I ask is someone gave a buddy of mine a 1963 Buick Wildcat and it has a 445 in it. Would it be worth re-building? I'm not thinking about putting it in the K5, but my buddy is thinking about fixing up the car.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey, here's one right up my alley!
    My first car ever was a 65 Buick Wildcat! First of all its not a 445, its actually a 401. There was another engine available same block, had 465 on the air cleaner it was a bored version of the 401 and displaced 425 cubic inches.
    The 445 refers to the torque, it made 325 horse and 445 ft/lbs of torque (2800 RPM I believe).
    Probably kind of hard to find parts for now but pretty cool and like I said lots of power in stock form. I think it would be worth rebuilding. Fairly high compression by todays standards though, I believe it was either 10.25 or 10.5 to 1. The tranny is also a gem, TH400 with a variable pitch convertor that was electrically switched off of the throttle. The convertor had a normal stall speed while driving 'normally' but a switch on the throttle changed the stator pitch in the convertor and bumped stall speed up to about 2500 RPM. On my 65 I would disconect the switch and manually close the switch when we used to street race, you wouldn't believe how hard a 4000 pound car could launch! That motor tranny combo pulled real hard right up to 6500 RPM but topped out at about 110 MPH. Mine also had 3.23 gearing and a posi. It was a big car but a lot of fun, I still kinda miss it!
    Best part of all was no-one expected to get beat by a Buick![​IMG]
    One other thing, as an option some Wildcats and some Rivieras came with the 425 and factory dual quads (2 500 CFM Carter AFB's) Under-rated at 340 HP and 465 ft/lbs of torque. [​IMG] Factory aluminum finned valve covers were also an option, usually found with the dual quads. A 4 speed manual was also available but is pretty rare.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hey trustyk5,
    I'm glad you know something about this car cause I know nothing [​IMG]. The reason I called it a 445 is because it says 445 right on the air cleaner in big black letters. So this thing came with a TH400? My dad said he thought they came with an old 2 speed tranny. Like I said he wants to do some kind of a build up, I'd said I'd help him but he has to fork over the money for parts. Looks like I'll have another vehicle in my back yard waiting to get in my garage.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 65 came with a TH400, I'm not 100% sure about a 63. Neat cars though, good luck.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

1965 is the first year for the th400 in all gm cars. i think trans before that are all dynaflows. My 57 buick has the 364 300 horse with a 2 speed dynaflow. This trans has a variable pitch tourque convertor but it is based on input touque. I think 65 was the first year for the switch pitch. Check hemmings motor news there is a place that sells speed parts for nailhead motors.