Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

44's and 52" springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudgod, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

Hey guys, I really enjoy just reading this forum, but I alway have to read this

"Hello Mudgod it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our many forums."

So, I'm going to ask some questions without using the search first tonight. (I can almost always find what I'm looking for in the search)

I just bought a set of 44" TSL's for my 91 Jimmy. I'm still building this play toy and haven't got the motor back in yet. I'm 56" springs in the back with the DIY 6" shackle flip and 52" springs with 7" shackles in the front. I have CV joint drive shafts. I'm not planning on running any fenders, just the hood and that will be tappered down to the body mounts by the radiator. I plan on doing a lot of trimming in the back, so they should fit there.

Question #1:
    Can I run 44" tsl's in the front like this or do I need to move the axle forward some more with a zero-rate?

Also I'm worried my pinion angle when this thing flexs out. (I was running 56" springs in the front and going through drive shaft u-joints every couple of runs) So, I'm also thinking I would need a 5 deg. shim.

Question #2:
    Does anybody make a zero-rate/shim, or could I buy both and bolt them together and get the extra room I need to run my 44's"?

Question #3:
    Do I even need to worry about adding a shim with 52" springs?

2. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

answer 1- with 56'' in the front you might not hit the firewall. my friends buggy runs 52'' and 44'' and on full stuff he contacts the firewall some. so a zero rate wont hurt.

answer 2- try www.jkwoffroad.com they make zero rates and can mill in a degree shim for you.

answer 3- if your going through u-joints that quick you might wana step up to a high quality u-joint can 1350 or 1410.

your truck sounds pretty mean. you got any pics? :thumb:

4. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

56's up front would be no different then the 52's, unless you ran them backwards in which case you would actually move the front axle back 2 inches from stock.

the center pin on 52's is at 26/26 and on the 56's its 26/30.

5. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

Pic? you can look here http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/Jimmy-pics?page=1

This is my second Blazer. I'm having to build this one because my first one ran into a big problem. ( :rolleyes: and going back in time in my head.........)

To make a long story short. I bought a 87 blazer with a D60 and 14 bolt, AK-57, Hydro asst., I swap in some 56" up front, a square drive shaft (for all the flex I got), added some 38 sx's, and did lots of fender trimming.

Anyway while out wheeling I bent the frame on both sides right in front of the firewall. The frame just open up and was sagging down. With the frame gone, I started looking around for a new body and frame. After a little while I spotted one setting out in someone field. The guy had got it for the drive train and the axles. I asked him about it and he said if I would haul it off, I could have it. :laugh:

So now I am swapping all my all my parts off the old blazer and putting them on the "new" one. I'm also doing some major upgrades while doing this.

Specs. of the new Jimmy will be:
    A new front D60: Now it had 35 spline outers, 1350 u-joints, detrolt lockers, heavy diff cover, a 1350 yoke, OTT high steering arms, and 5:13 gears.
    Diy4x4 shackle flip with 6" shackles.
    Diy4x4 guardmen for the pinion.
    Diy4x4 14bolt diff cover.
    Detrolt locker for the back axle.
    16" long travel shocks from Procomp.
    A NP 208 with a fixed yoke.
    44" tires.
    And lots more goodies I'm forgetting about. :)

Full Hydo steering

6. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

Anybody with 44's and 52" spring? Something that came up on another board was to add a 2" body lift.

7. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Link it front and rear--might as well since you have it all torn apart. :D

8. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

If I did that I still might get finished before you! :haha:
    Anyway you know that is way over my head. I going to save the links for a furture project on a furture buggy. (where is the spell check at?)

9. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Your probably right there! :rolleyes:

Just get your motor in and get it done, then see what hits when you get it on the trail. That's usually the best way to see what hits, I doubt you will rub that bad to mess up your tires if you do what the others have done.

10. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

That was why I posted this up over here to find out what other people have done, but no body has posted with any real life info.