Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

44's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Whassup, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

44\'s

Previously to looking through an old Fourwheeler magazine, I had seen very few K5's with 44's. And very few of the ones I had seen looked decent. I picked up the Oct. 98 Fourwheeler though and looked through it and stumbled acrossThomas Beere Jr.'s (with a name like that, you got to trust him.) 88 K5. It is exactly what I was planning to do with my K5 minus the 12" of lift and 44's. After looking at this beauty though, I've changed my plans a little to accomodate the 12" Superlift and the 44" boggers. He even has a 454 Rat stuffed between the wheel wells. This is the perfect pattern for my K5, my K30 donor truck is running a crate Rat that has been in it for 4 years, It has the one ton running gear and a NP205. I took a trip to Mr. R's (local boneyard) and picked up a TH350/NP205 adapter, I'll run the 350 til it dies, it is a freshly rebuilt tranny after all. When it bites the dust I'll hunt down a TH400. i'm playing with the idea of installing a truck roll bar and KC's and modifying the topper to fit with the rool bar still in. I acquire some reinforced fiberglass fenders and a hood from a friend, so i'm going to reinforce it even more, then put front tilt hood assembly on it. It's got a fresh Apple Red paintjob on it, so that'll stay til it fades to nothing. The only thing I don't have the parts for is the x-over steering i'm going to put on. Interior is being scraped and rebuilt from diamond plate aluminum and Herculiner'd. Does anyone know of any place I can get buckets seats that are covered in water proof material? It's the only thing I need other than getting x-over steering components.

I like my trucks BIG, my women HOT, and my Budweiser COLD!

2. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

Re: 44\'s

You're gonna have fun with that project, and it will be worth it! I have bucket seats from Summit. The seats are waterproof; the covers aren't designed to be waterproof, but they're only $31! The covers might be described as quasi-water resistant! I have 4 in my open top Blazer, and that thing doesn't fit in the garage w/ 10" lift and 39.5 Boggers!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigerik.coloradoK5.com>http://www.bigerik.coloradoK5.com</A>.

3. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

My shop will fit anything up to 13.5' in height and will park four crew cab long box trucks (2 deep, 2 wide). I mounted a 10 ton rolling chain hoist on the center beam to use for pulling engines, lifting front/rear ends, one man topper removal, and even used to to straighten a friend's bumper. I'll have no problem fitting a K5 with 12" lift and 44's. Has anyone used those Wet Okole (I believe that is what they are called) seat covers? I've seen them advertised in Four Wheeler. Kinda afraid to drop the money if they aren't what they claim.

4. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

You should do a search on the wet okole seat covers. There have peen some post about it and I belive most people didn't like them. They said that they fade in the sun and water can get under them and the seat rotts from the inside. But do a search to confirm what I said.

[​IMG]

5. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

Ah, I'll just get some Summit bucket seats and mount them to the roll cage i still need to install.

6. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Check out my blazer(website below).Close to what you want to build. Had to cut out the fenders quite a bit though.

1987-CHEVY K5 BLAZER
    ENGINE-468 CI, 555 lift cam, speedpro forged pistons, rollers lifters, heads ported & polished, aluminum lift rise intake, cromoly rings, blueprinted and balanced.
    M465 Transmission
    205 T case
    Front Dana 60- 410 gears- detroit locker
    Rear Dana 60- 410 gears- power lock
    12" suspension lift
    44x19.5 boggers on 16.5 x14 Bart Wheels
    12,000 Warn Winch

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </A>

7. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

That is EXACTLY what I have in mind. Be warned, I might be bouncin some questions off you during my build up. Looks very nice BTW.

8. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

white knight, did you have to reangle the carriers any for that lift? I know i'm going to have to with a 12" suspension lift, unless a divorced mount t-case will eliminate my need to do that. Which i'm hoping it will, because I just found a 2wd TH400 built for heavy duty use (mostly towing for the truck it was in) that would fit the bill perfectly for the divorced setup. But I need more info on how to set it all up.

9. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I have that same exact issue of fourwheeler. Are you talking about the one were the truck is all painted up with the purple and blue paint or before it was painted that color? That does look like a bada$$ truck and hes from NJ woo hoo!!

JD

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

tilt noses are great when you work on your trukck.i loved mine.BUT they bounce around. hell mine almost came off,driving into a head wind and passed an oncoming semi,his tailwind got under it and zoom!took a peice of the frame with it.so it wasnt my install,it was right.mine was also all steel,so i had xtra weight to hold it down.i even had hydralics for it that never got put on cuz i put it back regular.BTW i got the hydros off my buddies tilt nose that he took off.years ago there was a k5 on 44s in 4wor it was lime green!(love it)the dont forget 4wor"project mighty rat"on 42s.(what ever happened to that truck id like an update)anyone know????

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.

11. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

That's the one, The Jersey Bogger. That is one beautiful K5. That is what my K5 strives to be, and soon will be. Even though I like the paintjob on it. I have something better in mind. I'm going to apply a paint job the is Corvette Yellow/Jet Black/Viper Red, the colors of my National Guard unit, and the truck has been dubbed "Steel Rain" same as the unit. Rolling advertisement for recruiting. Maybe I'll get a recruiting ribbon? hahaha

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I was just wondering but do you drive that on the street/daily driver??? Looks good!

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

13. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

No, my daily driver is a 2001 TA. But the K5 will make many appearances around town.

14. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

It's a cool K5 but I don't really like it. It's to much of a "bolt-on" truck I think. It has a moonvisor or whatever it's a called, that bug thing on the front, etc. I think it's too much of a show truck even with the powerfull 454, the dana 60 and the corp 14. It's also geared to high. It has painted blocks in the rear, and painted springs. There is nothing wrong with a 4x4 that has a nice paint job, but I think this blazer is just to ordinary. Almost everything on it was baught from a store. It doesn't have any thing cool or something custom built that not every other 4x4 has. It's just not one of those rigs I see and say "Holly FAQ, that is friken awsome!" When I see it, i say that's nice but forget about it a few mins latrer. It's not like a 4x4 that you see, and you'll remeber it for a long time. Even though they are Fords, I like the rodent exterminator and the 79 bronco more. They are just more serious trail rigs especially the 72 ford. These are just my opinions and most of you are probably gonna disagree.

[​IMG]

15. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

Mine sure as sin won't be a show truck, it's going to be a hardcore mudder and trail truck. It'll have all the dents and scars, and homemade bumpers and a custom job on the topper to allow it to fit over the rollbar and light's i'm going to install. this is going to be MY truck with any mods that can be fabricated by me ARE fabricated by me.

16. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I was talkin about the truck in the oct 98 issue.....not yours. I'm more into lifted 4-8 inches, running 38-44 inch tired, massive trimmed, spray painted, big axled ugly trucks then the nicer painted ones with 12 inches of lift.

[​IMG]

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ohhh yeeaaahhhh! Don't stop, please don' t stop! That's the way I like it! [​IMG]

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BadDog on 03/19/01 09:26 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

18. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

I still like the 12" spring. I like to keep my sheet metal intact, but hey, each to their own. The paintjob is going to be bright n flashy but most definately not showy. I am gaurenteed to get paid by my unit each time i drive it if i paint it up with the unit crest and a Howizter on the tailgate, so the way I look at it. if i can get paid for having a nice (but not too nice paintjob), then i'm goin for it! But mine will definately be more trail friendly than The Jersey Bogger with it's show worthy paint scheme.

19. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

Just talked to a buddy of mine yesterday, he has some Cut-out fender flares that will go perfectly with my rig. So I'll be doing some cutting, WOOHOO!!! *pulls out the sawzall* Let's cut this pig! He also is selling me his built TH350 for $50 bucks, B&M offroad shift kit, manual valve body and Corvette servo.

20. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Do you have the tires and the lift already? you might have mentioned it before but I forgot. Do you have all the stuff to run 44s? (1 ton axles, low gearing, 400+hp engine, etc..)
    Good luck and take pics.

[​IMG]