Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

44s.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Dec 9, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well, a fellow ck5er as a set of 44x18.5 TSLs for sale and if I sell me almost-new 39.5x15 TSLs I can definitely afford to "upsize". Any reason I shouldn't go forward with this? I have a D60 with 4340 shafts and (will have) Longs 300M joints in there. 5.13s... Detroits... HAD shafts... doubler... truggy. Other than the fact that I couldn't lift a 44 without help, is there a good reason not to go with 'em? They are pretty much the ultimate tire (with respect to height!) for a rig with 1-tons....

j

2. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

44s are cool. Boggers are cooler...or 53s....but yea, get 'em.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sorry but the 44 got replaced a long time ago. now there are 46", 47", 49", 52", and 54" tires. if you are happy with your 42's and where they take you keep them. I went to 44's because I wanted to run the biggest thing out there and now I am just another guy with almost the biggest tire.

4. jekbrown

nothing over 44 is an option for a D60 (for me anyway). If I want to run the new 54" Bogger or the bigger michelins, I'd run Rockies with OEM 2" 4340 shafts. D60 chit is just gonna break. :) My original plan was to run 42s when my 39.5s went bald... but that is quite a ways down the road. These 44s are near new (like my 39.5s)... and something about a K5-based truggy on 44s sounds good to me. :grin: :thumb:

j

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you can swing it as far as $$$ goes, go for it!

Like you said, seems like 44s are about the limit for a 60. If you're not livin' on the edge, you're taken up too much space. :rotfl:

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run 44" tsl's there not much harder than 40" TSL's to move around plus there way cooler:D :D :D :D :D

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I tell ya this much. carrying a spare 44 is bad enough. I wont go bigger for that reason alone.

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Get the 44's

Are you free next weekend? I could give you a hand / Or just come to bug ya :haha:

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you want a spare, keep it on the trailer. I absolutely won't carry a spare tire on my normal runs because a couple of plugs and some goo will get me back to the parking lot in 90% of the places I wheel. Hell, this summer at Gilbert we broke off a tree branch and jammed it into a sidewall to get my buddy back. It'll add 200 pounds to the rig, bring the COG up, and be a pain in the ass. Make a mount that bolts to the trailer and keep the bastard in the parking lot.

No reason not to. I'm pretty sure I could clear 49's with the fender bars I've got in place. That'd neccessitate rockies and a much longer build time though, so I'll be happy with my 40's for now. It'll net ya 2" under the diff, a bigger footprint, and a braggin' right or two.

10. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Hey!! What wrong with Fat Bitches :D :haha: :bow: !!

And as for the spare on the trailer; that's an interesting point.
    Since I'm going to be running milspec tires, that's even more true. The side walls on those tires are incredible; anything short of a sharpened piece of re-bar won't puncture it!!

11. jekbrown

yeah, I may end up using Staun internal bead locks with the 44s... which have their own inherant "run flat" capability. I doubt I'd have a spare with me on the trail. Not much room to fit one on a lil' truggy anyway.

j

12. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The only thing I would consider is getting some crane or dedenbear knuckles, Then your 60 would be golden with 44's.

13. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you've already talked yourself into it...:D Get the 44's.

14. jekbrown

yeah a knuckle upgrade will happen eventually. I might wait for Yukons... they are supposedly planning on releasing some that use a 6 stud attachment scheme (pretty much identical to the bling 5 stud ones... just with another on the opposite side). Might be bling and hold to to full hydro...

j