Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

45 watts enough to push 10" sub?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by y5mgisi, Dec 25, 2004.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I have a pair of 10" subs that arnt real spectacular but theyre ok. The only amp i have is a 45 watt per channel unit Would this amp at least make the subs work untill i get a better amp? or would it just sound like total crap?

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

most likely your going to be VERY unhappy with that amp. There is a chance if it is an older amp like rockford or jbl that it's a sleeper amp but w/o knowing what amp it is, my answer is no your not going to be happy. YOu will get sound out of them with that but they aren't going to bump

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

First off make sure it is capable of powering subs. It has to be in the right frequency.

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Talking about sleepers, I had an old Sherwood 70+70 that would pound the hell outta my Cerwin 12's back in the day...

6. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I had that very same Sherwood and I ran the old Stillwater Design 12's back in the late 80's early 90's before they became Kicker.

7. joefl

joefl 1/2 ton status

it all depends on how many watts your subs handle. 45 watts is going to sound like crap. underpowering the sub can mess some of them up. you can try bridging the channels together, but it depends on what kind of amp you got

8. barryb

barryb Registered Member

that under powering line was probably the best sales deal (B.S) ever made up.

Its a simple deal , the sub itself and the box determine how it sounds, the amp is how loud. Every sub has a reference efficiency that is its volume at 1 watt, measured with a mic. one meter away. It will play with one watt, just not very loud - most around upper 80 Dbs.

Every time you double the power it will gain 3 Db of volume.

the question is, will it play loud enough for what you want ----???

is it going to ripple the pavement as you drive?? nope - now you need to look into that 500 watt range amp.... but it will get you started.

Pioneer used to make a head unit that had you could bridge the rear two channels to run to a single sub - it was like 40 watts RMS ....

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Pioneer still claims its standard 50watt max/23watt RMS rear channels will runs mall subs in small spaces

I'm sure it will too, just not incredibly loud or highly defined

10. joefl

joefl 1/2 ton status

Under-powering a subwoofer is as bad, if not worse than over powering it. Excessive distortion from a over-driven small amp can quarter the life of a subwoofer.

11. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

I Would Have To Say Underpowering An A Sub Is Worse Than Overpowering Ive Been Around The Car Audio Scene For A Awhile Underpower A Sub Well Any Speaker Creates Distortion And Any Speaker Cannot Handle Large Amounts Of Distortion They Will Blow. Well Runing 45 Wats Per Channel Is The Question To Give A Good Answer I Would Need To Know Type Of Amp If It Bridgeable And If Its 2 Ohm Stable Or Lower What Type Of Subs And Ohm Rating Of The Subs AND WHAT KNID OF BOX (PORTED/SEALED)YOUR USING AND THE AIR SPACE OF IT IF YOU KNOW . Ive Won Many Car Stereo Compitions With 2 12's On A 80 Watt Rated Amp

12. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have a 30 * 2 amp running 2 15s, I do have it bridged and is Bumps in my :burb: ! and the amp is about 9 to 11 years old.:thumb:

It is a RF:p:

13. joefl

joefl 1/2 ton status

Old RF's kick A$$. :grin:
    The new series ones suck

14. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Back in the day I had a system that used two RF Punch45s, it was an Alpine Tape unit with no onboard power, the system was AMAZING and it ran 4 speakers and a 8" sub in a ported box. Yes the rear amp ran two rear speakers and had the sub piggybacked on it as well.

my guess is that if the 45 watt amp is not of the caliber of those old Punch45s, theres no chance it will sound good, and it may even wind up damaging the sub with distortion.

Modern car audio has gotten so cheap... those Punch 45s were something like $400 each back then, no wonder they were so awesome.