Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$450 for a 10 bolt $#%&#@* Update...Running a 14bsf now

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, May 31, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:angry1: I've been hard on my DD lately so it came as no suprise to me when the rear axle started making funny noises. I pulled the cover two days ago to see what was wrong. One of the bearings was totally blown apart, leaving metal shavings and remnants of rollers all over the inside of the diff. I laughed, thanked my lucky stars it was ONLY a 10 bolt, and proceeded to jack the truck up and pull it out.

I figured it'd be easier and cheaper to just put a new one in than to have somebody rebuild the current one. I got done pulling it last night and figured I'd go call some junkyards today, pick one up, and have it back together and running by suppertime. I start making calls this morning and can't believe what I hear. Out of 10 yards I called, the cheapest anyone would go on a 10 bolt with 3.73's (we're talking without brakes and axleshafts here) was $450!!!!!!!!!!!! I about **** my pants. When I started laughing, the guys on the phone seemed insulted.

I then remembered the 12 bolt I'd pulled out of my project truck and given to a certain yard because I couldn't sell it for anything and I didn't have the space to store it. The guy said yeah, he remembered me, but it'd cost me $500 to get my axle back. Wow, I'm furious.

What do these piles go for in yards around you? I would hate to ask what they want for a 14 bolt, that might run upwards of $1k.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Here in San Diego at pic n' pull a rear of any type is $125 and a front is $175. But these guys are smart and you are hard pressed to find a front 60. 14FF are all over the place in the yards here.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cheap here,but dissapearing fast..

You could buy a 10 bolt rear in new england for 75-175 bucks without too much searching...a 14 bolt SF or FF will run about 150-300 dollars in most cases--but they are crushing thousands of the 73-87 year trucks like crazy,since scrap prices went up to 90 bucks a ton--pretty soon you wont be able to find one--and then prices for the few remaining ones will likely be outrageous..you could buy a whole truck for the same price if you can intercept it before it goes over the scales..

The scrap prices fell to 65 dollars a ton today,so hopefully it will slow down the "crushathon" thats wasting a lot of good parts trucks for awhile..only thing is,I have about another ton to junk myself :frown1: --good thing I junked my 74 K20 last monday,when it was still 75 a ton....wish I got it there sooner..the way prices are dropping,it wont be worth the effort to scrap anything again soon.. :crazy:

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Around here the 10 bolts go for a premium due to popularity and demand. The bone yards love the folks that search for a replacement 10 bolt. The Z-71 crowd is normally in the dark about any form of upgrade and they pay time after time when they fail.
    I know of folks that have paid $1,100.00 for a used 10 bolt and they felt that it was a good price ! :confused: but for the most part 10 bolts around here are going for $400.00 to $800.00 depending on what is available at the moment. The un-informed buyer is driving these pricess up because they have no clue ......
    Tom

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

around here...

any rear axle including 14bolts are $35-$75... sorry that is it :crazy:

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I paid 150.00 for a rear 2wd 12 bolt . I am sure they are cheaper sometimes , but that day I couldn't find an open axle at all . I saw more with Gov Locs , and lots missing parts , until I stumbled on a 73 longbed that was fresh and still had the whole drivetrain in it .

7. RootBreaker

did you search car-part.com yet? i just did and in minnesota there are some from $100 - $750....

8. mikey_d05

Everything below about $300 is just parts. B and R auto is the place that I'm leaning towards at the moment. They want $450 for a complete one in good shape. I've put in calls to a couple of friends who are at work right now so hopefully they can find something later in the day.

9. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

With that being said, I'll go pull ya one from PnP for 75 bones ship it to ya for another 100 and you can send me the 450! J/K, I havn't the time for such an escapade :D

10. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Wow that sucks man :( My brother and i just threw 2 10 bolts and a 12 bolt last week lol. I would have given you the damn things lol. Anyway that doesnt help the cause any...Get a 14 bolt ff and get wheel adapters :grin:

11. RootBreaker

im picking up a 1985 jimmy fullsize... and gonna scrap the axles... think it has 3.08's though.....

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What year/make/model is your DD?

Around here the 73-87(91) 12 bolt and 10 bolt axles sell for close to nothing; I couldn't give mine away so I scrapped them. A 10 bolt from a 88-98 4x4 will bring $800 - $1000.

13. mikey_d05

It's a '93...why the difference and what set's 'em apart? I didn't notice any significant differences when tearing this one out as opposed to the one in my '89 (old body style)

EDIT: Just checked, they have one out of a '90 Burb for $250 with the right gears...is there a difference between the '88-'98 body style rear axles and the 73-87 body style rear axles?

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The spring pad spacing is different, but that can be worked around. The major difference is that the 4x4 rears from a IFS truck are about 3" wider than other rears because of the positive offset wheels used with the IFS front.

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

just be thankful that you dont own a 88+ K truck. when i blew the rear in my 91 and went looking for a 10 bolt w/ 3.42s, the CHEAPEST i could find one was $800, and it had no guarantees, and they wouldnt pull the cover or let me pull the cover to verify that it wasnt trash. i got lucky and a friend of a friend had one from a 91 C truck. its 5 lug, and about 6" too narrow, BUT its got good 3.42s in it and an open carrier rather than a gov bomb. scored that one for $200.

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

heh, just read the rest of the thread... you do have an 88-98 K truck. welcome to my world brother. :mad:

17. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Shop around for whole trucks. Often you can find whole trucks for less than what a junkyard wants for an axle or a motor.

When I went to a salvage place back home they wanted $350 for a 2.73 ten bolt. I asked them how much for the whole truck. They didn't find it funny. I told them that they'd be lucky to get $75 for it and it's only worth about $25 in scrap. They told me they'd "cut me a deal" and sell it to me for $150 cash. I knew they wanted to pocket it and not claim it as income. I said "no thanks" and went and bought a 2wd truck for $125.

I know salvage operators need to make a living, but c'mon, be realistic. Maybe if they hadn't crushed all their old cars they'd have something people want. Like the old disc braked 12 bolts out of F-bodies. I'm sure all those salvage operators that crushed dozens of them a decade ago for a little extra beer money are kicking themselves in the cooches now.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup--crush everything,no mercy...

Its a sad fact that the junkyards DO crush a lot of the "good stuff",and dont care much while scrap prices are high..like the past 6 months here..they crushed 90% of everything they had for all the 70's and up trucks and cars(mostly because they weighed the most,and many were weatherbeaten from being left with the hoods open)...so some were "picked over" and not many good parts left--others that were hauled in recently by private haulers and the yards own wreckers brought them directly to the scrap place rather than dump them in the junkyard and try to sell the motor,axles,etc...a friggin waste!.. :mad:

Its a shame so many trucks I saw that I could have driven were sent to the crusher instead..but when you try to buy one,they want 500+ for it--thats quite a jump from the 35-150 bucks they probably paid..one truck in particular I knew of got hauled in and sold for 800 bucks, when its elderly owner passed away,and they charged his widow 50 bucks to haul it away!...talk about robbery! :screwy: :angry1:

I often look at trucks for sale,or ones that look abandoned,just in case they might be for sale,and maybe have that elusive big block motor,or Dana 60 front end..even when I need nothing for myself--I'd rather buy it and cut it up and sell the parts myself,than see the junkyard either make a killing off of it,or just let it go to waste,then crush it..I read all the "want ads" books too,
    just in case--it usually gets me angry,because I see several "good deals" I cant afford in them every time!--I just missed out on a 1980 chevy 1 ton dump truck--FREE!!--I called as soon as I read the ad in the paper--someone had taken it away 15 minites before!...and they will probably cash it in at the crusher in the morning... :mad:

The main problem around here is the junkyards have no room to keep anything--there are at least 10 large yards nearby,and every one of them gets 20-40 cars and trucks a DAY!--they are stacking them like firewood,all the sheet metal is trashed from them being hauled by forkloaders,and forget any parts when its the middle truck in a stack of 5 high...sigh..its a losing battle it seems...when you DO happen to get lucky and find a truck with the right parts--get your wallet out and your vaseline... :mad: :frown1:

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Shop around, be willing to walk the yard, haggle, and most importantly HAVE CASH! Also, it helps if you don't need it "right now". I have a '95 Yukon that ate its 10B rear, so I was on the hunt for a replacement, It took a month to find a 6 lug SF14B that was almost a direct bolt in (needed a conversion u-joint) and netted me bigger drums out of a mid 90s LD 3/4 ton P/U. Here is why it pays to upgrade: 10B = $600 & direct swap, my s/f ran me $300, but if I had been willing to buy the FF14B he had on a pallet by the door w/ a claimed 50k mi ;) it would have been $100 cash out the door. The reason, the FF never break so they don't get replaced. I heard the same thing from 3 yards. You've got to remember we are the 1%ers. Crazy, ain't it. One guy said something about the 12B going for even more!

20. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

LOL

You need to come to pick and pull in Salt lake this weekend. $39.00