Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 & A/c

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsRumors, Nov 21, 2006.

1. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

I am gearing up to swap a 454 into my '85 Burb next week. I think I have everything figured out except the A/C.

The Burb currently has a 350 and uses the smaller type a/c compressor (R4) and it is located on the driver's side of the engine. Some of these vehicles came with the longer a/c compressor (A6) mounted on the driver's side. Additionally, I have seen the R4 compressor mounted on the passenger side when a 454 was present in the 2 wheel drives.

The engine I am going to use has the brackets for the A6 compressor on the drivers side.

Is one or the other compressor better? When the system is reassembled R132 freon will be used. Is one or the other better suited for this? Does anyone know if there is a 454 A/C bracket available for the R4 compressor to mount on the driver's side?

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Im just gonna be watching this, when I put in my motor I ran into the same issue w/ the long compressor on the drivers side. To make it even worse, I put on tall valve covers to clear the roller rockers, and so I would have had to fab some type of extensions for the brackets, I just said screw it, Ill pimp with windows down. If you end up making the short round compressor work, be sure to send me a pic or two.

3. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

Will do. I am going to make something work even if I have to buy an entire serp system. I am not going to pull a camper with 4 kids, the wife and 2 dogs with no A/C.

4. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

Any one?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

log

The bigger "log" style A/C compressor is much more durable than the "radial" newer ones..but if you use other than R-12 freon you might not get as much cooling power out of it...I'm not sure if R-134a will shorten its life or not..

I dont know if any 454's had the radial compressors mounted on the drivers side,if any did it would likely be in later years,that probably have serpentine belt setups..maybe a motor home or P-30 step-van ,or HD truck or Bus might use some weird bracketry...got any RV boneyards nearby??..:crazy: