Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 aftermarket throttle body?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by big_truxx, Aug 17, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

where can i find one. also on an 89 crew dually 454. if that makes a diff.

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Holley probably makes one but IMO they are crap. I have a high flow TBI on my K5 that I got from www.turbocity.com. It's only the throttle body, you reuse your stock injectors or you can get their flow matched injectors if you want. This one should fit your engine. I'm very happy with mine, and used to have the Holley which I promptly got rid of.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the holley one is for a 350. Its injectors are smaller then those on a stock 454. I am too drunk to find a place that has them, though I'm sure someone does. Try CFM-Tech.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I'd bet money you bought the holley tbi before they reworked em and fixed the problems people were complaining about.

They are for 350's and they don't make a 454 tbi... unless you want to spend a grand on a 4bbl kit :haha: :screwy:

5. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

When did they "rework" them? I bought mine less than 2 years ago. Wasn't impressed with it right out of the box. There was a bunch of flashing and rough edges still on it from the casting. Looking at the quality of the Holley throttle body to the stock was night and day. The Holley looked like pot metal! The injectors were just crap. I put it on and it was running so rich the engine was backfiring and blowing black smoke everywhere. This was supposed to be a "direct bolt in replacement" for the stock GM 350 TBI. Yeah right.

It may have had an adjustable fuel pressure regulator but at that point I didn't even care. The actual quality of the unit was so dissapointing that I didn't even want it sitting atop my intake anymore. It was on my truck less than a week, then I swapped in the Turbo City high flow TBI with the STOCK injectors and it ran just like it was supposed to.

The Turbo City TBI is a rebuilt/overbored GM TBI. I *think* the Holley TBI had a slightly larger bore than the Turbo City unit but don't quote me on that. If the Holley TBI was actually built decently I probably would have kept it and swapped the stock injector pod onto it. If they have "reworked" it and fixed their quality control issues, then I would consider trying it again.

I said Holley might make one for the 454 but wasn't sure. That's why I suggested the Turbo City TBI. In a way I'm kinda glad Holley doesn't make a 454 TBI :haha:

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Ok so you bolted on a tbi with injectors twice the size of stock and another 330 cfm and it ran rich.... then you bought a turbo city tbi with stock injectors and it ran good... :haha: :haha: :haha:

There is a reason it comes with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator... in fact that is the reason. all you had to do was pop a cap off and turn a screw until it ran right and your done.

as for the casting quality mine is not perfect but sounds like you got a lemon.

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

thanks people :waytogo: i will lok at the link in more detail (looks cool from what i see) after work as i gotta run

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

since when are the Holley injectors twice the size of stockers? Last I remember stocks flow around 50 or 55lbs/hr, where as the holleys are 65. These are the numbers sticking out in my head. He is right, they claim it as some direct bolt on magic thing, when in reality, bolting it onto a stock vehicle is a waste of time and money.

I think you need a math lesson, since when is 450+330=670??? 55x2=65? Do you have a glass stomach?

http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/component_info/tbi_injectors.html

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

First off the holley injectors are 85 pph not 65. Second, it IS a bolt on but you need to adjust the fuel pressure to get it to run right... holley even tells you to in the instructions. expecting it to run awesome without tuning the fuel pressure is a rookie mistake if you ask me. I did the same thing, then i called holley and brought down my f/p and it ran titty.

I don't know why you would want to put it on a stock motor... you can't bolt a 750 cfm carb on a stock 350 and expect it run awesome.

HUH???

I ment to say 230...stock cfm is 440 IIRC.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm finding conflicting info. One place says 89, one says 65. You are right, playing with fuel pressure would help, but still bolting a 2" bore to a 1 11/16" bore isn't going to do much more then hurt airflow. Whatever, i think it better to modify stock throttle bodies and save the $$$.

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

yeah your right on that one... a 2" tbi only works with a 2" manifold... i guess i never saw this stuff because i went with the aftermarket stuff.