Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 and 700

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaggyk5, Mar 25, 2003.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

got a 454. and a 700. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Who knows what flexplate i need to put the 2 together.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifbecause the torque converter mounting pattern is smaller on the 700 TC that the pattern on the current flexplate which had a 2wd th400 behind it. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif many people have told me that they are the same, but with my own 2 eyes, the holes are 1/4-3/8 inch off. please help. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif this is the last peice to the puzzle.

oh and i have done searches, but cant find exactly what im looking for.....

thanks.

Matt

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

If the holes are off, then you need to obtain a flexpalte with the dual pattern, meaning it will accept either a TH400 "wide" pattern, or a TH350 & 700 small pattern.

TH700 and 454??? Can you say KA-BLEWEY???!?!?!?!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

where can we get one of these plates from? have any part numbers?

yeah, i can say ka-blewy....but why bother??
    the trans isnt going anywhere.... i dont want this to turn into one of those "i hate the 700r because everyone else does" posts... thanks, just venting

any more info on this plate would be nice... he's torn through the pioneer catalog at work, as well as the computer, and they both say that all the flex plates are the same.

thanks

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'd recommend putting in aphone call to Summit Racing, one of their tech guys will surely be able to point you in the right direction. </font>

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

that last post was TorkDSR under my user....

Yeah i realize the trans probably wont last long, but thats just the next step in the build up. i plan on keeping the 700,( nice 1st gear and OD) but when it goes, i have a trans guy that used to build transes for nhra drag teams. he said he can build the 700 up to handle the 454, and he'll pretty much garantee it. at the same time im gonna go to the rev. manual valve body and all....so yeah, i know what will probably happen and im ready for it.

is summit/jegs the best place to get this flexplate? i work in a parts store, so if you know anything i may be able to get from work that would be great. thanks for the help.

6. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

I have an 84 K5 with a 454 and a 700R4 and I'll pull a house down with this thing. Anyone who thinks the 700R4 wont stand up behind the big block can come take a ride with me. Ok now that we've settled that, I got my flexplate from Napa. I don't have the part number but the guy I got it from was smart enough to figure out an application that had the same flex plate for the 454. Here is one for a dual bolt pattern external balance 168 tooth bb GM part#-343738. I emailed my friend who owns a transmission shop for the info.

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

thanks guys but its under control. all the plates we can order for a chevy are dual bolt pattern, thats why the computer only listed one plate.

by the way, this is Tork, posting as Tork...
    later

8. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

yeah. thanks guys.