Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 build help, please.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidB, Jul 8, 2006.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for a power package (like edlebrock does) or recipe for my 454 to take the guesswork out and simplify things. I just want to call, order this this that and this, the stuff to install all of it, and go. I don't want to mess with the bottom end, assuming it's good. I'm thinking off-road carb, intake, cam, and maybe heads. $500-$1000 reasonable? The truck is going to be a 1980 crewcab, no bed about 6,000 lbs, TH400, NP205, one tons 4.56 gears, 39" Michelin XLs. Use will be street to the trail locally and then dirt, dunes, rocks in that order.

THANKS - David

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would check the bottom end regardless of what you do to the top end. Why spend all that money up there, when there is a chance to throwing a rod, going through those new heads???? Getting the bottom rebuilt isn't too terribly expensive. Heads for a BBC aren't cheap. I had a set of GM Bowtie heads on my old car, and were awesome heads, but were $1700 for the pair. Heads is where you make power. Rebuild the lower end, get a decent set of pistons, ( I used Keith Black hypereutectic) mild cam (Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 268) Edelbrock Performer intake, 750-850 carb, headers and duals, and you will have a super strong motor.

Oh, yeah, the Edelbrok Performer package will probly be the only package, don't know of any other one.

3. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Well, yeah...I intend to check the bottom end...but not "build" it per se. I know truck heads aren't much for performance, but I might not swap them, due to the $ factor.

4. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

No more 454 input? :doah:

5. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

You might be able to get a set of oval port iron Merlins for less than $1000.

6. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a good shop/parts house I could talk to about 454s?

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

If you just want to put power adders on, I would go with some rebuilt 781 or 049 casting heads, a Comp XE cam that is the powerband you are working with (maybe 268 or 270 grind) a Performer RPM intake, some roller rockers and you will be good to. If you want to get some more out of it, I would rebuild the entire thing with a forged crank, some h-beam rods, hypereutectic or forged pistons (forged if you can afford it) work over some 049 or 781 heads with bigger vales with under-cut stems and top it off with like a comp 272 cam.

The 049 and 781 heads offer great bang-for-the-buck performance as far as factory iron heads go. You can always spend $1700 and up for some awesome flowing aftermarket heads too, though.

Chris

8. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Thanks

Where would be a good place to look for such heads, and will they be appropriate for such a heavy truck?

And shouldn't I stick with a Performer vs. a RPM? I want plenty of mid and low end, throttle response, but some more high for sand too...

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

David,

I have a set of 781 heads here in Az.... They need to be built. I pulled them off my 454 cuz I bought Edlebrock Alums when I built it a couple of years ago...

I'd make you a smokin' deal on them.... :deal:

And as far as recommendations, my engine ran a Summit 272/284 Hyd cam - straight up - and 10.2 CR. Ran great to 5000 rpm!

Marv

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How about find an 8.1L, that nets you a torquey 496 with the dependability and diagnostics of modern day fuel injection.
    probably be more than your $1000 budget though. :crazy:

:thumb:

11. bayou blazer

bayou blazer 1/2 ton status

I found a set of 781 heads locally for around $100 and put another $500 into rebuilding them and putting in 2.19/1.88 valves with some port work done on them as well. These are one of the best iron heads and they are plentiful. Check your local paper. I am about a week away from finishing my 502 and these are the heads that I am running on it. I am also running a performer RPM mainfold with a ZZ502 roller cam.

12. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Yeah, well, everyone wants an 8.1....but I already have the 454...and I'm sure it'd break the bank. Actually have a line on good 6.5 TD that I'll prolly use if I don't like the 454.

13. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Head $? PM me?

What's 10.2 CR? My brain fails me at this hour...

14. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

compression ratio

10.2:1

15. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Right. I knew that. :doah:

16. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I currently have a 454 in my Blazer, but it's very weak and mileage has gone to the drain.

So I bought another 454 to start bulding without parking my blazer for months. My plan was to reuse all possible bottom end components. Since this engine was supposed to have very low miles. Yeah right!

I made the inspection disassembly last weekend. This engine probably did have low miles, since the bores were worn only 0.003" from stock. But those miles were definitely fun. 6 out 8 compression rings were broken and scratched the cylinder wall. All main bearings except the large one were spun :eek1: Imagine if I had listened to the guy that sold it to me. He said I could practically run it as it was.

This was a Corvette engine. It has a steel crank and the famous 353049 "049" heads. These are supposed to be the best 454 heads GM made. If you can find a set, you're all set. I've seen some on ebay. That will save you some big bucks. They are supposed to support up to 500hp.

I will be ordering the following from Summit as soon as I have the money:
    -KB Silvolite 203 pistons
    -SLP File to fit Plasma Moly rings (tempted by Total Seal rings, though)
    -Federal Mogul main, rod and cam bearings
    -Melling Oil Pump and pickup
    -Gasket set
    -Roller Rocker Arms
    -Manley 2.19 / 1.88 valves
    -Main studs
    -Rod Bolts
    My total is $1,026 + S&H

I already have:
    -Comp Cams Xtreme 4x4 210/218 0.505 lift cam kit Part #CCA-K11-231-3 for $329.95

-Performer polished manifold
    -Edelbrock Quadrajet carb
    -Chrome valve covers

According to desktop dyno, I will be getting about 550 ft/lbs and 375hp with this setup.

Hope this helps.