Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 build-up questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big'nBadK5, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

I'm in the middle of ripping down a '74 454 to put in my '85. it was bored .060 at some point in it's life and has some brand of forged flat top pistions. the heads are '74 oval port open chamber 113 cc units and i want to build this motor to make some serious power. what kind of reccomendations wuold you guys have for building this motor?

2. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure where you want your powerband to be, or for what you intend to do with this motor. If your 454 is already bored 0.060" over, I wouldn't plan on boring it again. I just got finnished assembling my second big block, so I don't have near as much experience as others on this site, but if you're looking for bottom end torque on streetable gas, I think a stroker crank kit and an Xtreme 4x4 cam from Comp Cams would be a good start. The oval port heads you have are probably a good start too, with some bowl cleanup, and maybe larger valves. Just my .02. Good luck!

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah, if it needs bored, I I would look at getting a new block....060" is considered the max on BBC...you can go out to .080" but it is risky...If you have some cash to spend, I would get some Edelbrock 6045 heads, get a Comp XR276HR or XR280HR hyd. roller cam, and thro on a Edelbrock ProFlo EFI...Should be good for 500 hp AT LEAST thro a stroker crank in ther for a bit more and more torque...picking parts for BBS is easy....its paying for them that sucks

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Like the others said....don't plan on overboring it anymore. If it needs boring, either find a virgin block or have the cylinders re-sleeved.

Stick with torque rather than horsepower. Don't go crazy on the camshaft as some of the best performing BBC's are with a totally stock camshaft. I've experienced both stock and large cams and will pick a stock cam anyday for power and daily driving duties, and especially for reliability.

Some nice headers, aluminum intake, and a good Q-jet carb are all thats needed for a good strong BBC. Don't go with the Holley crap. Stick with the Q-jet and you will have almost no troubles with it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Big'nBadK5

the bore is fresh so no worries there. i cant afford to slam new heads and an efi system on it. trying to go more traditional.

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

keep the heads. They are probably 781 or 049 castings, which are some of the better(best) stock heads for a torque application. Put 2.19/1.88 valves in them along w/some bowl work. You will be very happy. Get a good aluminum intake, and start saving for EFI.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

they arent 781 or 049 if they are 113cc. Probably closed, or semi closed heads, chevelle circa maybe. Neighbor has a set of 113cc's came off a chevelle 396.

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

depending on the castings of the heads, I would keep them. you want torque. small heads will give you that at a resonable rpm. Unless you plan on mud racing it. I Highly recommend the comp cams 4x4 xtreme cams. roller is nice! but expensive. But they have some of the best cams roller or not.

9. Big'nBadK5

i am planning on putting a rebuilt kit in the block that has some pretty well domed pistons to get some more compression, like around 9.7:1. i dont know much about the big blocks so what would you say that is gonna do for me and is it a good idea.

right now it looks like the heads are gonna stay. and i am going to do the cam, rebuild it and do the intake i am going to be running an 850 quadrajet. thanks for all the help guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Big'nBadK5

ttt

looking for help. wanna build this thing the right way. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status