Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 cam options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Mar 26, 2007.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

OK, so I want to put the 454 in the burb at the start of the summer and wanting to spend about $400-$500 on it before I drop it. I want to go ahead and put some Hooker Compitition Headers Steel, painted for $176 which is no problem on proper application and then I thought about adding a Voodoo Lunati cam as well. I went to Summit to pick one out (so I can start saving the pennies) and I have no clue what to choose. Lift, duration, this that and the other. Not sure what any of it means. What do you suggest. The ones I looked at ran between $200 and $300.

Want to be able to pull heavy trailer loads but also turn big boggers in deep mud? I don't know. What do you think?
    Thanks for the input

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Seems like the use case is a bit mutually exclusive. If you want a mud runner than a RPM capable package is in order. Towing - low end. I'd recommend a good dual plane intake and matched cam for a dual purpose rig. The cam should come in at 1500 or so.

3. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

make sure you check to see if the cam you pick wont need new springs. but for best use and performance get new springs.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One of my olds trucks had a nice 454 in it. 84 3/4 ton, 14ff D44 front, 6" lift, 35s tires. Motor was an 81-82, who knows how many miles, had a Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 268, Quadrajet/intake, headers, and 2 1/2" with Flows. (sounded sawwwwweeeeetttttt!!!!) Sorry. Anyways, it would smolder the right rear tire off. Regret selling that truck.....I've had good luck with Comp Cams, High Energy, Xtreme Energy, all made good power.....