Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 cost

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Aug 8, 2004.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What should I expect to pay for a junk yard 454?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You really don't know what you're getting from a salvage yard. No telling if it was abuced.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it might be better to find a c20 or c30 with a 454. i sold my uncles 77 c20 for $500 complete with running 454 th400 and 14bff with 4.65 gears. now im kicking my self in the ass for doing it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Keep the 6.2.../forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I have pickes a good one up for 300.00 and seen alot out of running trucks for 600.00 to 1500 for a ready to drop in motor.

I would recommend picking up suburban or truck up so you know the deal on it and go from there.. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

i found one in a bookmobile at the local JY, odo indicated 6,500 miles! Came back later and it was gone, the guy said he had pulled it and scrapped the rest, wanted $1600 for it /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    the guy is a dick, and doesn't really know his stuff that well either. but its all good, he sold me a "3/4 ton" dana 60 front for $150

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep the 6.2.../forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

The 6.2 is going into something else, might be a single seater buggy

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have been searching for a motor for my 79 C10 sine I blew it up a week ago--only good leads so far was a 454 for 700 bucks in RI,but was sold before the ink on the want ad was dry---I still have to check out a 400 SB in another RI location,but havent gotten a call back from the owner(I left a message on his answering machine)that one was 400 bucks with a TH350 tranny out of a 73 impala.All the yards near me laugh when I ask for any big blocks,but after the laughs subside,they usually "know someone" who would sell one for 1000--1500 bucks.Trying to find even a pre--86 small block has been a challenge so far--every one in the yard is either already junk,or full of rainwater for a few years--and many of the trucks dont have the motor in them when they get junked,people seem to know they are getting scarce,and are hoarding them.I'll be lucky to find a runnable small block for less than 500 bucks unless I get a 305 2 barrel for 200 or so,any big block around here is usually at least a thousand bucks if it runs well,or is low mileage.I have to go check out another yard today that just got a bunch of school busses in--I saw them friday but they were about to close when I got there--the owner said he thinks some of them had 366's in them,and a few were 6.2 or 6.5 diesels--I'm starting to wonder if it would be worth it to put a diesel in my 79 too--I kinda like getting 20 mpg in a 6000 lb 4wd fullsize truck(my 82 K20)and a 2wd 1/2 ton would probably do even better.All I know is there isnt much for older stuff around here anymore,unless you buy a whole running truck for 500-700 bucks and part it out--something I'm trying to avoid,even though I know its nice to have all the parts at your fingertips to convert things over. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I know is there isnt much for older stuff around here anymore,unless you buy a whole running truck for 500-700 bucks and part it out--something I'm trying to avoid,even though I know its nice to have all the parts at your fingertips to convert things over.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Why would you want too avoid buying a whole truck if you can get all the parts you want for cheaper then just a engine ??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mostly because its my mothers yard,not mine--and I have tons of stuff already littering the place from previous projects,and her health is not good,she is very ill with emphasema--and if she passes away I will have to move all this junk in a hurry--dont want to add to the mess thats here already.If it were my yard,I would definately buy a whole truck(or 2 or 3!!)and go to town--I know thats the best way to do it,no trips to the junkyard for those trinkets that always take longer than the swap.Life doesnt always allow you to do things the way you want--but if I absolutely have to--I will drag another rotbox truck home and /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Mostly because its my mothers yard,not mine--and I have tons of stuff already littering the place from previous projects,and her health is not good,she is very ill with emphasema--and if she passes away I will have to move all this junk in a hurry--dont want to add to the mess thats here already.If it were my yard,I would definately buy a whole truck(or 2 or 3!!)and go to town--I know thats the best way to do it,no trips to the junkyard for those trinkets that always take longer than the swap.Life doesnt always allow you to do things the way you want--but if I absolutely have to--I will drag another rotbox truck home and /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Okay, I can understand that. Have you consittered a storage lot. I stored a Camaro in a outside storage lot for a whole $25.00 per month, and the place had 24 hour security. What you would save by buying the whole truck would more then pay for a year of storage. Just a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

If you can find one at the pick-a-part, they are around $150 I think and it will probably be missing somethings. I found my 6.2 replacement (402 BBC) in Pasadena for $750. Don't forget that you'll need the accy brackets, too.

13. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    he sold me a "3/4 ton" dana 60 front for $150

[/ QUOTE ]
    SWEET... for that price i would have said... ILL TAKE 2 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I won't buy one from a junkyard UNLESS it is complete and still running. That way i can see/hear it before i own it. I will also pull it myself, that way i will get EVERYTHING i need with it. pully's, brackets, and other stuff can be difficult to track down after the fact! I will pay $600-$800. I have bought a complete 2x4 3/4 ton burb for $800. I also bought a dually std cab 2x for 1,000, kept the motor sold the rest of truck for $400.