Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 dies when the truck warms up........ ?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silver84k5, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

the other day i go to start the truck and warm it up, after about 5 minutes it dies, Doesnt restart. i figure the plugs have loaded up cuz of the rings letting oil in the cylinders, (when you floor the throttle black smokes comes out like crazy) anyway, i change the plugs and some of them are actually so gummed up there is no gap left. i start the rig up again and it runs for awhile then dies, and doesnt restart, i cannot see gas going in the carb then i press the throttle, It is an Edelbrock carb, i dunno the CFM or anything, What could be wrong? (sorry this is kinda vague)

2. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

check to see if the choke is sticking closed.

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

How about I drive to oregon pull it outta teh rig and take it hoem with me... problem solved... :d

I'd guess somethign with the choke or filter is plugged....

4. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

check the float or the needle and seat, try cleanin the carb and see if that helps, sounds like its runnin real ritch to me if its blowin alotta black soot, it could be sticky floats or a dirty needle and seat thats causin it to flood itself out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

thx all.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'll second that. Sounds like a choke issue to me too. Is it electric, mechanical, or do you have it hooked up to a cable. If it is electric, start it, run it just for a minute and then pull the wires off the choke. It'll stumble a little bit, but you should be able to keep it going until it warms up by being easy on the throttle. If that doesn't work then you may have other issues like bad fuel pump and sticky butterfly valves...