Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 EFI not running properly?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by James670X, May 15, 2004.

1. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

I have a 1988 V30 with the L19 (vin N) 454 EFI and the problem is that it does not want to run correctly (ie idles too low, popping noises from tailpipe, runs rough, etc...) with the wire plugged into the map sensor (runs okay with it disconnected), so my question is does anyone have any idea(s) as to what could cause this?
    Edit: So far I've done a full tune up (spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor, air cleaner, crankcase filter, pcv, oxygen sensor, timing's set @ 6 degrees), the fuel filter has been replaced along with the switch inside and the solenoid outside for the dual tanks, the map sensor has also been replaced as well.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Unplug the hose from The EGR and see how it does. Cehck all the vacuum lines for cracks. My 88 had a buch of thos plastic lines cracked.

Under the hood is a Hose diagram. Make sure the MAp is connected to the correct port.

Read the codes.

3. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

I have disconnected the hose to the egr and that did not fix it, I have checked how the lines are routed and that's not it, and from what I can see and hear there does not appear to be any plastic hoses or rubber hoses cracked, I have yet to read the codes though so I'll definately give that a shot.

4. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

The codes should be the first thing you do. They'll generally point you in the right direction. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Read the codes first. Then check for vacuum leaks. Is the distributor is decent shape?

Chris

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    , runs rough, etc...) with the wire plugged into the map sensor (runs okay with it disconnected), so my question is does anyone have any idea(s) as to what could cause this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you already found your problem.

But read the computer codes to find out. Jumper pins A and B (IIRC).

Good luck.