Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 engine question??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Aug 18, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thinking about going big and someone has proposed to sell a 454 they said it needs to be bored and a sleeve in one cylinder there selling it for $200 for just the block would it be worth it. And how long would a sleeve last dont know much about things like that any info would be appreciated. Thanks

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

For $200.00 yes it would be worth it a core is worth $400.00 around here

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

$200 for a 454 block hell ya its worth it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I'd take it. When the hell you coming back to Nashville?

5. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

Hope you like buying gas.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

just the block? crank and pistons included? sleeving a block can get costly along with boring the rest of the cylinders. do you know what year/version block it is? some of the mid 70's blocks can't take much reworking. even if the block needs work, 200. is a deal with the crank and rods. for a block alone i'll pay 100.00. some earlier blocks, like the ls6/ls7 blocks can go for alot more. the problem can be scrounging up all the other parts. pully's brackets and such.

7. CaveBlazin

Well Im gonna ask this guy what year it is but how much am I lookin at for a sleeve in the cylinder and some good ole block work whats the average going rate for this kinda work. O yea and to the replys its just a block for 200$ so what do yall think now. O yea Im coming back to TN the 7-14 of Sept so we need to get together ok....

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well since every couple of weeks in the local paper I see running 454s for $500.00. I don't think $200.00 for a block that needs a sleeve is a good deal.

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Oh?!!!! So it needs a sleeve and not "already has a sleeve in one cylinder." I see now. I have a lead on a complete 454 from the intake to the pan for $450 but it "quote" needs to be rebuilt. Anything other than what I typed for you I don't know. But if you like I'll call and see if they guy still has it. There is a 427 Tall block complete needing rebuild at the Middle Tn Trail Runners Sale forum.

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I agree, I think $200 for a bare block that needs a sleeve is HIGH. If it needs a sleeve due to a violent death then be very careful, it may have other things wrong with it. If you buy it I would do this : make the current owner take it to a machine shop and have the block checked, if it's ok other than the sleeve you pay the fee, if it's bad let him pay the fee. If you buy it it is money you would have spent anyway, if he refuses the deal that may tell you something about him or the block.

FYI - Around here you can get a complete motor for $600 - $800. Personally, I'd wait and put a little more money with the $200 and get something in better shape.

11. CaveBlazin

The guy says it came out of a 73 but still has'nt answered me about why it needs the sleeve Im thinking this might be a bad deal besides I think ole brandon might have found me a better deal. Thanks to all of ya for your advice if you guys are looking for a 454 block that needs a sleeve just PM me and I'll talk with this guy...

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think the most common reason to need a block sleeved is because a broken rod went through the side of the cylinder. I don't think that 454 blocks are rare enough to warrant the trouble. Find a decent builder engine that is all there. Putting one together one part at a time can end up costing you a lot of money.

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, you spilunking bastardo <--/forums/images/icons/grin.gif I made the call to my contact. He said he will be seeing his frien with all the chevy motors laying around in the next day or 2. Said he will find out the scoop on the 454 and or any other big blocks he may have. I'll be on "belay" /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif soon as I hear from him.

14. CaveBlazin

Darn Nashvillians yall cant spell for crap its spelunkers and Im not one of those Im a caver I'll explain the difference later. But I do wish I had chevy engines just laying around see if he has any 400sbc's while he's at it I would appreciate that
    thanks again.