Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 exhaust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hawaiik5, Sep 24, 2001.

1. hawaiik5

hawaiik5 Newbie

hello everyone,
    i am getting a parts truck that has a mildly built 454 that i wanted to swap into my k5. i was wonderingwhat size pipes i should use, has headers and some bolt-ons and the heads have just been rebuilt about 5000 miles ago. anything i should look out for with this swap. advice, ideas?
    dennis

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd say 2.5" for duals, or 3" for single. As for the swap, make sure to use brand new motor mounts, and drop it on in[​IMG]

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

If the motor is a High reving motor i would go with Dual 2 1/2's.
    The Single 3" is going to give you better low end, I think they sound better to. On my old blazer it had a built 400 in it. I had dual flowmasters, when i went to the single 3", it improved my mileage 1 or 2 mpg, Big difference in low end. I would also go with the Doug Thorley Tri-y headers if it isnt a high reving engine. Even on my 6.2 diesel the single 3" works better. It opened it up quit a bit compared to the duals.

4 wheeling is like sex, when its good, its really, really good, when its bad its still pretty good.

4. hawaiik5

hawaiik5 Newbie

should i use motor mounts for a 350? the 454 is currently in a 74 3/4 ton 2wd truck with an automatic and my k5 is an 82 with a 350/sm465. will the radiator and brackets bolt up to my k5? what about flywheel/clutch, i was thinking of getting one for a 74 3/4 ton 4wd with a sm465 and a 454. is there anything else i missed? any ideas, advice?
    thanks
    dennis

5. hawaiik5

hawaiik5 Newbie

i think i'll go with dual 2 1/2" with flowmaster 40 series since this truck will see a lot of mud when i'm done. btw the truck already has headers that i think i will reuse.
    dennis