Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 flywheel again...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Geez, talk about frustrating. Try to find one of these stinkin things. Youd think they were made of frikken gold or sumthin!
    Is there anything special I need to know before I look for one elsewhere? Like different versions or sizes? My GM dealer will get me one for 375.00 so they can pound themselves. the local parts shops Napa etc, cant get them, so tomorrows mission is to call the driveline shops and junkers, but I dont want them to ask me a question like : What size is the clutch, or What is the diameter you need, or What is the bolt pattern of the crank?
    Thanks for any help.
    Mike

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd suggest calling local machine shops. They tend to end up with stuff people abandon or can't pay for, and they will definitely know what you need. (if they are a good shop)

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What year is your big block? I'll see what I can do at work tomorrow.

We have reman flywheels, CHEAP!!!

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Its a 454 in a 81 2wd crew cab with an auto if that matters.
    I dont know about the machine shop thing... any machine shops around here are strictly metal fab shops... so unless you guys mean a auto repair place that can turn them, I think Im outta luck.
    Anyways, thanks for the help, and Id appreciate if you could check into one for me. I have a couple options tomorrow, but if they fall thru, I may have to resort to getting one from down there in the USA! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

found something you may be interested in:

GM#3993827

Flywheel for 1970-1990 externally balanced 454ci big blocks 14" in Diameter (168-tooth ring gear)

$147 from www.gmpartsdirect.com

I found this infor in my old GMPP catalog I pulled out...

Hope this helps..

Chris

6. fortcollinsram

by the way, since you are buying a new one, get it for a bigger clutch. Get the flywheel that is 14" in Diameter with 168-teeth on the ring gear and you can use the bigger clutch...

Chris

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have an auto you don't need or want a flywheel but rather a flexplate. Flywheels are for use with a clutch while flexplates are for use with an automatic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

This should make your life 100% easier now.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, I just found another post you made about your engine swap and found you are going to use a 465/205 combo and need a flywheel not a flexplate. I just looked in my GM perfomance book and came up with 2 part numbers for you.

The first one is a nodular iron flywheel #3963537 for 1970-1990 454, 12 3/4" outside diameter flywheel, 153 tooth starter, for use with a 10.4" diameter clutch, mark IV engines only. Or #3993827 for 1970-1990 454, 14" outside diameter flywheel, for use with an 11" diameter clutch, for use with mark IV engine only.

Here is another, #14096987 for 1991 through current year 454/502, 14" outside diameter, 168 tooth starter, for use with an 11" clutch.

I hope this info helps you and or others. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I am going to use a 454 out of a duellie from 92. The tranny(465/NP205), clutch and everything else I got out of a Blazer with a 350 engine from 78. What flywheel would I have to use for that /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. fortcollinsram

[ QUOTE ]
    I am going to use a 454 out of a duellie from 92. The tranny(465/NP205), clutch and everything else I got out of a Blazer with a 350 engine from 78. What flywheel would I have to use for that /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Refer to 4x4highs reply above for the part number but since you have a GenV 454, you need the flywheel for a GenV/Gen VI BBC...that is the 1991-present flywheel...

Chris

11. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Damn, I suppose that means I will have to buy another starter also /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Will both those flywheels fit inside the regular bellhousing? Or is it another bellhousing Id be looking for as well?
    Those part numbers work out good up here however they are big$$. $315.00 for the flywheel, and $214.00 for the clutch.
    I guess my question is: Can I buy the 3993827 flywheel, and the 11" clutch, and have everything fit inside my bellhousing I have now?
    Also, I have never been asked how many teeth I need for the starter... are there different starters for the different ring gears?
    Thanks for the help so far!
    Mike

13. fortcollinsram

[ QUOTE ]
    Damn, I suppose that means I will have to buy another starter also /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

NO..if you match the number of teeth you old flexplate had when you buy the new flywhele you can use the old starter...the starter will work as long as the ring gear tooth count stays the same

Chris

14. fortcollinsram

[ QUOTE ]
    Will both those flywheels fit inside the regular bellhousing? Or is it another bellhousing Id be looking for as well?
    Those part numbers work out good up here however they are big$$. $315.00 for the flywheel, and $214.00 for the clutch.
    I guess my question is: Can I buy the 3993827 flywheel, and the 11" clutch, and have everything fit inside my bellhousing I have now?
    Also, I have never been asked how many teeth I need for the starter... are there different starters for the different ring gears?
    Thanks for the help so far!
    Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes both flywheels will fit under all the manual tranny bellhousings... IN my experience, all the flexplates I have run across from our trucks have had the 168-tooth flywheel. But the starters ARE different for the 168 and 153 tooth flywheels...But I am almost certain that you have the 168 tooth on your truck now...

And where are you getting $315 for the flywheel?

If you get it from GM Parts Direct it is $176 shipped to your door.

I also found another source for flywheels for you and it happens to be a sweet place to get clutches too..Dial-A-Clutch

They have a flywheel for $100 (#LFW102)

For a clutch I suggest a LUK clutch. You can get a factory replacement (called the RepSet) for $116 from dial-a-clutch and you can get the ProGold (the high performance one, which is the one I have behind my 454) for $225

So if you play it right and just want a factory replacement clutch, you can get this done for $217 plus a little shipping /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Chris

15. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Gawd Dang... this just keeps getting more and more frustrating.
    So...
    I have to buy a flywheel, either 10.4" or 11" with 153 or 168 teeth on the gear.
    Then I have to buy a clutch set, either 10.4 or 11" that matches the flywheel size.
    Then if the # of teeth on the ring gear dont match what I had before, I have to buy a different starter.
    Right?
    So I guess I have to start with finding out how many teeth my current ring gear has. Then I can buy the flywheel with the same number of teeth, so the starter matches, then buy the clutch that matches whatever size the flywheel happens to be.
    Right again?
    Sheesh... none of the flywheels I have found have even mentioned number of teeth.
    Back to the drawing board. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thanks again.
    Mike

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I totally appreciate all the help you are giving so far! Thanks a lot!
    The prices I am getting are in CDN dollars.,.. note my location! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    However, the info is priceless!
    I may give that second place you mention a look see. Even with the exchange and shipping, they are pretty cheap.
    Thanks again.
    Mike

17. fortcollinsram

[ QUOTE ]
    So I guess I have to start with finding out how many teeth my current ring gear has. Then I can buy the flywheel with the same number of teeth, so the starter matches, then buy the clutch that matches whatever size the flywheel happens to be.
    Right again?

[/ QUOTE ]

You got it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That is the best way to go about it...like I said, I am almost 100% sure you ahve the 168-tooth flexplate and therefore need the bigger 14" diameter flyhweel that has the corresponding 168-tooth ring gear.

More info for you:

GM#3993827 is 14" in Diameter and has 168-teeth and can be used with a 11" clutch

Even though it says its for an 11" clutch, the actual clutch disc size is about 11-3/4". I think the Luk ProGold I have even measured close to 11-7/8" and it still fits just fine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My vote for you is the LUK flywheel from Dial-A-Clutch #LFW102 and either the LUK RepSet clutch or the ProGold clutch (#04-064 and #04-902, respectively) depending on you budget and how you drive your truck...I have the ProGold, like I said before, and it is AWESOME...It feels great, has lots of clamping force and has stood up to the abuse of a heavy footed 22 year old /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Chris