Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 flywheel to 700r torque converter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Glazier, May 14, 2006.

1. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of doing a 454 swap re-using my existing 700r trans and torque converter. The 454 flywheel will not bolt up to the torque con. Have any of you crossed this path and what have you done? Have any of you drilled the flywheel using a crank and TC as a guide?:confused:
    Project is a 90 blazer and a 93 454tbi.
    thanks,
    Joe

2. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

Hey man, Im in chandler too, anyways.. I hope your not trying to bolt a torque convertor to a Flywheel... You Should be bolting it to a flexplate... Theres two bolt patterns on some flexplates so make sure your trying to bolt it to the right one... Let me know if i can help any, im probable right down the street from ya.. 480-209-2949.. nate

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A flywheel is for a standard trans and a flexplate is for an auto trans. There are 3 different flexplates, so assuming you are using a flexplate and the TC doesn't bolt up would lead me to believe that your flexplate only has one set of bolt holes and that you need another flexplate that has two sets of bolt holes for this to work.

There is one flexplate for all gen IV engines GM #14001992 for use with all 454 1970-1990. This counterwieghted 14" OD flexplate is used with externally balanced 454 BBC's with automatic transmissions.

Technical Note: Do not use with internally balanced engines. 168 tooth ring gear. For use with mark IV engine only.

There are two different flexplates for the gen V and gen VI engines depending on if it has a cast crank or a steel crank.

GM part #10185035 for use with 1991 & later 454 with cast iron crankshaft. This flexplate is 14" diameter (168 teeth)

Technical Note: this flexplate is similiar to mark IV design but not interchangeable because of balance. It has a dual-bolt pattern design.

GM part #10185034 for use with 1991 & later 454 HO & 502 HO engines. This flexplate is required when using a steel forged crank on Gen V design engines. This flexplate is 14" diameter (168 teeth)

Technical Note: This flexplate is similiar to mark IV design but not interchangeable because of balance. It has a dual-bolt pattern design. When using a 4L80 automatic transmission, only three attaching bolts can be used.

This info is from a GM performance parts book.

4. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Alright guys, I do have a flexplate. Never really understood the diff. untill you guys made it clear. Thanks. I picked up another flexplate today, but my project is 100miles away. Won't get to it till this weekend. Thanks for all the info.
    Joe