Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 head work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Aug 10, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

anyone know a rough est of what it would cost to get my heads redone with the large valves and a good port job? has almost 200k and needs a rebuild anyway thinking of givin her some pep hehehehe :D

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  2. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I just got a set done. I supplied the valves, springs, locks and retainers. I am in CT and it cost me 525.00. This also included hardened seats and unshrouding. It is for my JET boat. Here is a link. They do not need to be ported the ports are large enough already.

http://www.tjsperformance.com/bbcbuildup.htm

T.J.

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yes but you are working with a 70 chevelle LS-6... I would think they were built for power to start with ;) I am working with an 89 crew dually's tbi 454... may not be the same set of heads ;) or are they? I would seriously doubt it.... but I do not know it all which is why I love learning :D

4. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

hELLO world products has a excelent set of heads cast iron 2.19in 1.88ex for cheap stay with oval ports they make the best power below 5500

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

but how cheap? and which heads are they? i know world are cool. :D

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Valve job and many hours of setting up installed spring height for my solid roller BBC, cost $500.
    But before the machine shop got em, I mildly ported and polished the aluminum heads myself. took about 10-15 hours..
    I also polished the outside of my edelbrock heads myself which took about 10 hours a piece.
    [​IMG]
    Polished! (exhaust not ported yet in pic)
    [​IMG]

7. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

so ryan you ready to get rid of those BB heads. and are they smog legal?

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

nice set of heads you have there.

I can't remember how much the machine work was for my heads. I know the valves were aroung $120, and the springs were $80. I had the block and heads done at the same time and he only gave me a total price, not broken out. But he's a buddy of mine too so......... :o

I'm not going to spend $2000 on a set of BBC heads just to put them in my 72, not yet at least.

If I were going to buy a set of aluminum heads, they would be AFR's set.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=333364&prmenbr=361

9. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

i am curious about this as well. i have a 88 1 ton chevy 454 tbi. that looks to have some bad valves. Won't pass smog due to extremely high HC levels.

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

I'm looking at having this done soon too. Trying to compare between buying a set of stock rebuild heads for $400 from Advance Auto or having to job done on the heads I have local. I figure new valves and springs what else would be needed as far as parts go?What actually needs to be done to the heads by a machine shop? As in what should I ask for to be done and what can be done myself. I am clueless here any help is appreciated.

11. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

The machine shop will regrind your vavle seats, this is where the valve seals to the head when closed. They will check and replace bad guildes, this is what the valve stem slides up and down through. They can also resurface the head, they machine off a small layer of metal where it bolts to the block. I would also recommend buying new valve springs.

12. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

So would they need the new valves and springs to do the work or could I just take the bare head after disassembly and have the machine work done while waiting on parts?

13. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

14. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

im not aboiut to pay $1,500 + for heads for a crew dual 454 lol that is assuming i keep the motor in the truck lol (may think about swapping in a 6.2 for a turbo propane injected hauler :waytogo: ) anyway i would almost consider vortec heads as gm really did a good job of them with a stock form head. but i have no idea what those cost or anything. i was thinking if the engine stays int he truck just rebuild the whole motor put in a summit cam, get the heads redone well with the larger valves and port job and throw some headers and dual 3" exhaust on 'er ;) :waytogo: with a cam, big valves & port job, and headers that 454 will be making some moderate power anyway. in stock form it would smoke all 4 rear duals anyway so.... :D i wouldnt think that a valve job with big valves and a port job should cost a lot. someday i will have my garage set up with the propper equip so i can do it myself. but not till long after this engine is rebuilt lol

15. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

16. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

It's not quite that easy. In 91 when the Gen V block came out the water passages in the deck changed, these heads do not seal well to the older blocks.

17. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

so in other words they changed the bbc a lot more than the sbc?

18. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Yes, similar "improvements"... If you look close at the scogin-dickey add for these they specify for 91 and newer. I have experience with the opposite combination, I have a gen 6 block and try to use older style (dart) heads. Have a hard time keeping headgaskets sealing.

These newer heads are also not designed for an adjustable valve train either so add in the price for a machine shop to mill the roker bosses and drill/tap them for the earlier style studs.

19. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

that really sucks. the vortec heads are different for the sbc so i am told. :( very easy to use. but i love the bbc and do not think i would rather swap an sbc in thatd be just :screwy: :haha: