Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 hp figures

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76SILVERADO, Nov 7, 2003.

1. 76SILVERADO

76SILVERADO Registered Member

How much stock rated hp and tq on a 1976 454? I just picked up a 2wd with it. Going to put 454 in my 4x4.

2. 76SILVERADO

Anyone have a chiltons with it?.... I searched but found nothing.

Thanks

3. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

I believe its kind of a ridiculous number for a 454, but somewhere in the range of 235 if I recall. Thats not exact, but its close. Swap the cam, intake, carb and add some headers. Look for around 300-400HP depending on the cam.

4. 76SILVERADO

Yeah im more of a small block person, but i thought the heads was the biggest restriction on the BB.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep it all depends on what heads are on the motor,Probably small oval port.you can check the casting numbers on this website-Mortec.com...............

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The small "round ports" that were used on the truck engine's can really limet the RPM these engines will make power, but depending on what your doing, It can be a plus. The small intake ports can produce some awesome low-mid torque figures. intake and cam a must. but don't go nuts with the cam. I would go Comp-cams, and call them with all your info and they will give you a cam that WILL work. I run small ports with hyd rollor comp cams. 5,000 RPM max. lot's of driveshaft snappin torque!!

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if you decide to replace the heads, the best oval port head are the 049 or 781 castings. They are identical, in i believe chevy hi performance, they compared them to the rectangles that came on the 70 ls6. 049 won. I found a set that had been ported and polished, i installed some 2.19/1.88 valves......waiting to see the results lol. But seriously i had the peanut port heads sittin here, put em next to the 049s, i shoulda took a pic. It was ridiculous size difference.

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    if you decide to replace the heads, the best oval port head are the 049 or 781 castings. They are identical, in i believe chevy hi performance, they compared them to the rectangles that came on the 70 ls6. 049 won. I found a set that had been ported and polished, i installed some 2.19/1.88 valves......waiting to see the results lol. But seriously i had the peanut port heads sittin here, put em next to the 049s, i shoulda took a pic. It was ridiculous size difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

those are the same heads I currently have on my big block, huge difference from my old big block, I went with a mild cam though since I planned on putting my tbi on the motor.

larger heads a cam, headers, intake and 3 inch exaust makes a world of difference /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe its kind of a ridiculous number for a 454, but somewhere in the range of 235 if I recall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Net horsepower ( all accesories installed ) is way lower than gross horsepower ( at flywheel ) . My 165 hp 305 probably puts out 250 or so at the flywheel . A 76 454 will still put out good performance with the mods suggested , but will not do 400 hp net , maybe 400 hp at the flywheel . The old high compression LS6 only put out around 425-450 gross ( probably more , but conservatively rated ) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the 049's have 122cc combustion chamber so if u are looking to build a motor w/ a decent ratio pistons will be expensive. i run 049's & i had to run a 1/4" domed piston to get to 10:1.

the 781 is the same head except it is a closed chamber head.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

12. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok i stand corrected on the head castings, tell me this i am under the impression there is an older casting that is identical to the 049, except it is a closed chamber. i thought it was the 781 but since it is not is there such a head?

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ive never heard of one, I know, i think its gm performance, is making new aluminum heads that are identical to the 049's, I dont have the part number however. If you find out about an 049 closed chamber post up, but like I said Ive never heard of one.