Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 in a 78ish 2 dr Malibu???

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by ben427, Aug 8, 2004.

1. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I found a mint 78 malibu for sale, no engine or trans, and just happen to have a 450 hp 454 sitting around, along with a th400. Has anybody put a big block in these cars or is it asking too much??? i dont want to tube it out if i dont have to. just wast a tire burner and rice pounder.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go for it !!!! You'll have too put big block coil springs in it, but a big block 78 G body would be alot of run. I've been toying with the idea of a 396 in my 78 El Camino, but I'll probley stay small block. By the way, Hochtkis Preformance makes some nice suspension components for the G bodys.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

yes we have. the th400 hits in the tunnel, and the heater box has to come out to clear valve covers. we used some stiffer addco springs for the front. "hammered" the tunnel to clear. 68-72 chevelle headers. first run was a 12.40 1/4, rolling to the end when the stock driveshaft blew up just past the 1/8 mile mark. stock rear axel blew up next. got a 9" ford housing. ran a 10.20. Now is a 8.71 supercharged 540 running low 9's. untubbed, in full street trim.
    I say go for it. BURN the rice!!!