Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 in a first gen blazer question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1 FN HI K5, Jul 15, 2002.

1. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I have the chance to get a 1997 454 out of a suburban with 55.000 miles. What kind of problems am i looking at putting this in my 72? I already have a 1990 tbi set up in it now.
    I will have to get another wire harness and computer.Will the motor fit without reforming the firewall with a hammer?
    Any help would be great Thanks <font color="red">1 FN HI K5 </font color>

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Dang, you just keep going bigger!

I have heard some people have had to pound the crap out of their firewall and some have had no problems at all. I know there are several guys over on 67-72chevytrucks.com with BBs in their trucks. You might ask over their and see what issues they had.

3. 1 FN HI K5

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I moved the whole drive train forward 1 3/4" on my '72 truck. This way, I didn't have to worry about the HEI and firewall.

Pounding on a classic is not fun.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Brad,

TopOff has the right idea....move the whole drivetrain forward a few inches and save your firewall!

My 427 is REAL close to the firewall and the P.O. did some hammering to clear the valve covers. The large cap HEI is pretty durn close to hitting also......

I know, I know.....lengthen the rear driveshaft, shorten the front. You gotta pay the price somewhere. Ditch the belt driven fan and go to a couple of electrics, and you should have plenty of room between the motor and the radiator.

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey brad not to step on your post but how hard and issues is the 454 from a 75 going into my 73 blazer going to make (not drivetrain issue's that will be at the sametime)..But like the firewall on the 73-75's those kind of ???'s

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Put One in My 71 Fleetside, It will Fit, if You move the Whole Shebang Forward.

My Truck started life as a 2wd. After Collecting all Needed Parts, and Pieces. It became a 4wd. After 3 Years of the Old Tired 350, It was replaced with a 454.

Measure Twice, Cut Once.

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

no problem-o

9. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

When i dropped the 502 in, it fit, but i did have to do some firewall reworking. Other than that, she bolted right up.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What about body lifts?
    Greg has a 2" body lift and it's close...
    I've always thought if you put a 3" body lift it would probally be good?

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the only problem i have had was the distributer cap hits. The old street rod thing to do was run a small cap distributer. If you want to spend a 100.00 accel has a distributer that uses the hei module but uses chrysler cap/rotor set up. I used to use these alot when doin street rods for clearance. alot of older superchargers and tunnelrams won't allow the regular hei to fit. put small block into 39 ford and needed firewall room. I am agianst the idea of moving engine foward though. The idea of hanging more weight out front turns me off! I was trying to figure out how to move my 454 back. to nose heavy now!! when airborne, comes down hard on nose!! all the monster trucks have moved engines to the back of chassis to improve weight distribution. I had a 454 in my 64 lemans drag car. we moved the engine back 6" in chassis. What a difference!! i know, apples to oranges, but!

12. 1 FN HI K5

Thanks for all the info i did get the 454 so looks like another project. I do have a 3inch body lift that will help and i will have to move the motor cross member forward.Thanks <font color="red">1 FN HI K5 </font color>