Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 leaking oil. Have some questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Esteban86K5, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

The 454 in my 2wd 87 Burb has leaked oil all over my driveway since i bought it a few months ago. I haven't pinpionted the exact location but I am going to be pulling the tranny out to replace the flywheel so i thought I'd replace the rear main seal while I was there. I have done it on a 350 but never a 454. Is it basically the same? Are they a one piece design or 2 piece. And I am assuming the oil pan can be dropped without lifting the engine right? I also have to replace the exhaust manifolds since the ones in there are cracked. Can anyone suggest a good gasket for those? Some work better than others? I have used Fel-Pro before and got good results. Anyone use something else they like?

I want to gather all the info and parts I need before I tear into it to eliminate down time on it.

Sorry for all the NOOB questions. The 454 is just a new creature for me. I'm used to the puny 350. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I'm not much help for you but I can say I like Victor Reinz gaskets better than Fel Pro. My 406 is starting to leak in a couple spots and I used a fel pro kit. Our older 454 in our '76 C30 leaks oil like a sive /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif But our Vortec 454 in our 98 C30 doesn't leak a drop. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think your 454 should be a 1 piece rear main if it fallowed the trend of the 350. That is a big if on my part though, and someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

An 87 454 is a Mark IV plant. Two peice rear main.
    You do not have to jack the engine up to remove the pan(bless GM's heart)
    Easy job to do.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If I were you try and get OEM gaskets, they should still be available. PM me if you want me to look em up for you at work.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

add 60 cubes... that otta fix it /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. Esteban86K5

What is this Mark IV plant you speak of? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont use exhaust manifold gaskets anymore--they always burn away and leak.Most engines from chevy had none factory,the manifold and head are planed flat and installed without any gasket.You may need them if the manifolds are warped,but they wont live long--your better off having the manifolds trued up on a surface planer and using no gaskets.
    This does not apply to headers--only stock cast iron manifolds. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. Esteban86K5

That's good info. I'll have to call around to see how much that'll cost. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had good luck with mainfold gaskets before I went the header route. Oh and I think Mark 1V is just the generation of the motor.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 88 454 is leaking from the back of the intake manifold.

Dropping a pan is a LOT of work at a guess. I would be damn sure that is what it was befor commiting a day to changing it. Get a light and you can look up the back of the engine and verify if it is leaking at the Valve covers or intake.

Dropping the inspection cover you should be able to look up between the fly wheel and block enough to tell if thats the source of the leak.

11. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What is this Mark IV plant you speak of? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The MK 4 is the original style of bbc with a 2 peice seal. The gen5 came out in 90-91 and went to the one piece seal, gen 6 in 96 added the provisions for roller cam, the one peice pan gasket, and 6 bolt timing cover.

12. Esteban86K5

Considering I dont have an inspection cover it should be even easier!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I was planning on taking it to the local coin op wash ans clean the engine really good before I did this. Hopefully this will also help pinpoint the problem area! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Steam the motor off and get some dye additive for the oil. Then use a "black light" to trace the leaks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Esteban86K5

I've heard about that dye. Does it actually work /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif?

15. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've heard about that dye. Does it actually work /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does. But you may find more leaks than you want to fix..

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

16. Esteban86K5

Where do I get the dye for this? I have sen it for the AC system but never for the motor oil. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

TracerLine

Here's a company. They are pretty popular. Click on the "where to buy" link.

It looks like they had a couple dealers in the Bakersfield area.

John