Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 or 350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly, Oct 11, 2004.

1. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

what are the advantages and disadvantages of 454 vs 350?

I have a 454 in my beast, fuel milage is about 7-8mpg but it has a ton of power. With 4:56 gears and 33" tread it screamed at about 3500-3700 rpms going to Moab. I just put on 37s and it dropped to 2500 rpms- I can now drive it without ear plugs.

aslo does the sound dampening paint help?

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Trade you that 454 for my 350 /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Trade you that 454 for my 350 /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yha right...joker! I'll send you a picture of it so you can hang it on your dash and dream.

I would rather spend the extra dough on gas.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Answered your own question then /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

There is no substitute for cubic inches! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 409demon

409demon Registered Member

Go for a small block it weighs less and you can get a ot of power out of one
    Start with a 400 and put a storker cranki in with some good parts and a healthy cam and you wont be disappointed. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/459309

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A 454 is always superior to any small block for tourque,maybe a stroker 383 or 400 small block is close to the same tourque,bit the big block rules--as they say,there's no replacement for displacement!.A small block probably would not get that much better gas mileage--if economy is your goal,and you still want to keep a good deal of tourque,a diesel is the motor you are looking for(but diesel fuel is now up to 2.15 a gallon here,so it might not be as economical as it was a short time ago when it was 1.69 a gallon-).
    The beauty of a big block is you can put huge tires on it and still have the power to pull them down the road,even with gears on the high side(it will cook trannys though)and even when your truck is a rusted hulk,or crumpled in a ball from off roading,that 454 will still bring about 1000 bucks if its running well when you part it out--like money in the bank!.
    I havent heard of sound deadening paint(unless you mean herculiner or some similar product),rubberized undercoat helps deaden noise,I've used bubble wrap plastic stuff on my floors under the jute and carpet,it made a world of difference in noise and insulation--it stays nice and toasty in the cab with it--you can also buy sound deadening pads at body supply stores--you could also get all the covering for the firewall from a diesel truck at the junkyard--my 82 diesel is pretty quiet despite the knucklecracker 6.2--if it had a gas motor I bet I would be straining to hear if it was still running at a redlight!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm sticking with a 350 for the weight but I'll be building it up next year to make a few more ponies. I beat the crap out of my engines and a 350 is much cheaper to fix or replace than a 454, they also seem to take a few more RPM's before exploding. I'll be putting a 327 in my drag truck when time and money allows. I might even de-stroke it to a 302 just to squeeze some more rev's out of it. I bet most of you guys would kill me if you knew I was taking the SFA out of a K5 and putting in 2wd parts to take it down the strip at 100+ mph /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

thanks diesel4me ! Thats the input I was looking for. I would like to build it up to get 500+ HP. This winter, I might pull it and start building. Its part of a grand plan to do a frame off clean up of the entire truck. There is a ton of body work to be done- looks a little wavy, and some rust.

Thanks again.

Just kidding with the joker comment before, not looking to piss anyone off.

10. diesel4me

You are right that a small block will live longer at high rpm's--any big block,especially the 454 with its loooonnnggg stroke will not like to spin fast for very long,just the nature of a long stroke motor.You have the right idea using a 327,they are probably the highest revving motor chevy ever built(besides the 302 you mentioned).My brother had a 69 camaro with a 327 he built,he put in a 283 steel crank(it was a 67 small journal 327)and that thing was like a chain saw--but due to the fact the pistons now stopped about a 1/4 inch short of the top of the cylinder,we estimated it had about a 7.5to 1 compression ratio--this coupled with a hot high lift cam killed all performance below 2800 rpm,it lurched and hopped badly when taking off in 1st gear with a muncie 4-spd,even with 4.56 rear end gears--but once you got it over 3 grand,you had better be hanging on--we ran a points distributor with Uni-points in it to act as a rev limiter,the Uni-points would start breaking up at just over 7,000 rpm--I bet it would have revved even higher with HEI!.It would have been sweet with a blower on it,seeing the compression was so low--or he could have bought pistons to correct that problem.Ive seen other guys put a 307 crank in a 350 to make a poor mans 327 also. I might add not all big blocks hate high revs--I've seen tractor pullers with 427's top out their tachs at 9200 rpm during a pull!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. hfactor

hfactor Registered Member

If you had the budget there is an aftermarket smallblock block & crank available to get 454 cubic inches. Car Craft november 2004 issue did a dyno comparison the small block had more torque and horsepower. Cubic inches and light weight. KOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

12. diesel4me

You could also use a caddy 500 that weighs only 50 lbs more than a small block,has about 350 horses stock,and over 500 ft.lbs of tourque for much less money,and swaps in fairly easy considering they were never intended to go in a GM truck--theese motors are like diesels in the way they make all their power and tourque at low rpm's due to the long stroke--perfect for off road crawling and heavy tow loads.But as with the big block chevy's,with each passing year there are less and less available,so you'd better hurry if you are looking for a caddy motor--not many left in my area since scrap hit 70 bucks a ton recently! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. 409demon

409demon Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The beauty of a big block is you can put huge tires on it and still have the power to pull them down the road,even with gears on the high side(it will cook trannys though)

[/ QUOTE ]

Gone in one week with my small block /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I do wish for what i have in to it i would have built a big block, but im satisfied with what i have, sure beats the old 350

14. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

For what its worth, I have a couple friends that did a side by side swap 454 for 350. The friend with the 350 just wanted more power and the one with the 454 just wanted better fuel ecomony. Sooo, they swapped. The guy who originally had the 350 lost 1 MPG. The guy who originally had 454 gained...1 MPG!!! Also, my Dad and his friends had the same scenario except they went out west on an elk hunt. The results, over the road the two trucks got the same mileage, difference being the 350 fell behind in the Rockies and the 454 just went right on. These trucks were geared the same, both had in-bed campers and were loaded to even out the weight. They all came back wanting 454's. These things prompted my switch and I've never regretted it. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

15. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG] Big blocks Rule!!!

16. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

keep the rat /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif i used b-quiet sound deadener. very much like dynamat extreme in my truck only about 1/8" thick. a rubberized type spray on bedliner would work well in your blazers inside then you can spray it out as well!

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll send you a picture of it so you can hang it on your dash and dream.

[/ QUOTE ] A little cocky are we? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I'd take my cummins over a BBC any day. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

You have a Cummins in your blazer? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    You have a Cummins in your blazer? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]take a looky loo at my sig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif