Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 or 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Dec 13, 2000.

I know that everyone always strives for big big big, but if you had a moderately built 350 or stock to mild 454 which would be better in a K5 ? How much more weight is a BigBlock? Plus 350's are so easy to find parts for and less expensive I believe. I have never had a 454, but dreaming again on a project. 350 or 454 ?

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Jeez you where never worried about how tall your Truck was, why worry about how big the motor is....I say drop a 502 in there and be done with it...'cept maybe a Whipple Super charger on top of the 502...LOL How's Zac????

3nails/4wheels
    White Knight

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

To tell ya a story, when my '77 Suburban's stock 400 small block had 120,000 miles on it, I decided to build a 350 to replace it, and built it with a Comp Cams 260 duration cam, Edelbrock intake, headers, 9:1 forged pistons, double roller, balanced, etc, etc. Great motor, except it had LESS power than the 120K mile 400!!!! Out it came after 6 months and in went a 454, and I never looked back. That was 11 years ago!!!! I will NEVER have a small block powered vehicle that is over 5,000 pounds!!! 454 if ya wanna move around with authority. Oh, and BTW, the 454 gets the same mileage as that 350 that I built!!!

ken

3. I haven't heard from you in a long time. I realize you get slow in your old age, so I understand. A 502 sounds great and Christmas is just around the corner. If I can figure out how to get it picked up, I may be buying a 85 Jimmy and boy the mind is already dreaming up things. Zac is doing great except for the colds and bouts with pneumonia here and there. He is back in school and in the maintenance phase of the chemotherapy. 2 years more to go !!

4. Aren't BigBlock parts a bit pricy though? If I buy this K5 I am building it to wheel the pee out of... but I am a poor old dude so it will be a break and build process.

5. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

i just put a moderate 454 in my K5 (.060 over,comp 268H cam, balanced, keith black 10:1 pistons, balanced, gear drive timing, aluminum intake, edelbrock 750 cfm carb,headers, polished heads and intake) and I love it....and still get about 11 MPG, I say go with a bigblock all the way!

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

THIS is what we all want!!!! Can I get an a-men
    [​IMG]
    Factory Fuel-Injected Big-Block Power The recipe is simple; one part attitude, one part driving perfection, one part leading factory technology, and five hundred and two parts hungry rat motor. Ram Jet 502, you either have one, or you want one! When the idea of an all new big block fuel injection system first came up, we all thought it was a good one. When it was proposed that it be integrated with our 502 crate engine, we thought someone had clearly lost their mind. Who could possibly need the awesome, flat, broad torque curve only available with a long runner dry manifold? And who would want the neck-snapping throttle response of MEFI 3 controlled port fuel injectors? And what would be the need for aggressive tunnel ram styling? But then we remembered we're not building 100 mile per gallon, 0 to 60 in a week, eco scooters. We're in the hot rod business! So we called together engine management system experts from GM Powertrain, our own GMPP engineers, and fuel injected race engine builder and GMPP Pro Mod racer Harold Martin. After some great discussions, a little debate, a lot of late nights and 50 gallons of coffee we had an intake manifold design like no other. By leveraging leading fuel management technology, numerous production developed components, the industry standard MEFI 3 controller and the great Ram Jet name from the 50's, the Ram Jet 502 is reality. The new undisputed heavy weight champion, the Ram Jet 502, makes 510 horsepower at 5500 rpm and 550 ft.lbs. of torque at 4500 rpm. But the real story is the torque curve, the Ram Jet 502 makes more torque throughout its operating range. This is possible because Ram Jet has a larger plenum and runners than would ever be possible in a carbureted application. This means greater intake efficiency and greater torque without sacrificing driveability. The Ram Jet manifold is so efficient that we're able to make all of this horsepower and torque with a production L98 throttle body assembly, you know, the one that Blazer and Jimmy owners always replace when trying to make more power in their 350 engines. It's all about airflow quality, velocity, and fuel and spark management. You'll just have to drive one to appreciate it. If the one-second cold starts, no stalling, instant throttle response, and the solid pull from idle to red line don't convince you that a Ram Jet 502 is for you, then maybe we could interest you in a 100 mile per gallon, 0 to 60 in a week eco scooter.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

For the ultimate HP and torque, it's hard to beat a rat. The prices aren't bad if you look around. I could of got a complete 454 with decent performance heads and manifold for $500 last week. The week before that, some guy was selling a complete 79 1 ton dually with a good running BBC for only $500 but I was 10 minutes too late. The prices on new parts are only a little higher than a small block (ie- cam, manifolds, pistons, etc). Before you start looking at any, get a book like Big-Block Chevy Performance (HP Books) which will give you the good casting #'s and the do's and dont's. For some major stump pulling power check out what a stroked 454 can do at http://www.speedomotive.com Weight difference between the SBC and BBC is around 150lbs. which isn't much more. Add alum. heads to a rat and the weight is almost the same.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

8. I'd trade my Burb for one of those engines !! You suck Steve, you just had to rub the truth in!! I have dreamed about a Ram Jet 502 ever since the Street Rod Nationals last year where they had one on display. Oh My God is all I could say !! I am trying to figure out how to make it 350 miles to pick up a 85 Jimmy right now. I just don't have the time to pick it up or a rider to drive my Z71 home. The wife isn't real happy about buying it(if I get there to buy it), but I think she will forgive me after it is done.

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'll stick with my 406 topped off with a kick a$$ TPI, thanks........
    [​IMG]

That 502 would be fun tho.........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

10. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

man o man go for the 454, I put one in my 81 2wd this summer(yea I know this is the 4x4 section but I take this baby on some pretty hairy logging roads) The engine is an old friend as it was in my Sub. untill the rust got the body,.It's stock except for a new 600 performa eldebrock and 21/2 in dual exaust with cherry bombs ,We live way out in the Mts. and my wife says she can hear a couple miles off. I get 13 mpg if I can keep out of the secondaries . If it ever needs a rebuild I will have it balanced that really helps a big block especialy if you warm it up a bit.................
    Mrivan......
    Ford people go to trailer parks for their summer vacations......

11. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

a mouse weighs 480
    a rat weighs 620
    there is no replacement for cubic inch displacement.
    js

12. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

A mild 454 any day of the year. A 454 with an aluminum intake and tube headers will weigh the same as a stock smallblock. Throw on some aluminum heads and it weighs less than a stock 350. The difference in weight to a stock 454 isn't more than 150 lbs or so (IIRC). The low-end torque is way worth it.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

13. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Steve, all I have to say is Hallelujah brother!!! [​IMG]

That Ram-Jet 502 is one bad a$$ lookin' beast. Too bad about the price of one... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would love that 502 but i cant afford that so i am looking at a 454 as my next motor

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

16. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

Go with the big block!!!! A 454 will produce more HP with so much less strain on everything. And it'll last forever! Ok, you'll need heavier springs in the front... A 350 is ok, but given the choice, there is no real choice!

17. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Can you bolt a 454 up to a TH350? Will it handle the power and torque? All this talk is making me wonder if I should buy a crate 350 or rebuild a 454.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

18. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

A TH350 will last behind a 454 as long as you're sane with it. I have one behind my 454 that's been in there 10 years.

ken

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You can have this beast for a measely 10k with 630 horses[​IMG] and 605 ft lbs[​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This one is 3,800

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]