Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 Powerband?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Sep 28, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

What is the powerband for a 454

2. gauder

gauder Banned

A little more info on the particular 454 you're talking about would help us narrow it down. The 454 in my Caprice pulls nice and strong when I shift it at 7200.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Think of a plateau, wide and flat. :wink1: Stock truck 454's hit their torque peak at around 1,600 RPM and and stay near the peak for quite a ways up the RPM range.

4. hero

hero Registered Member

Mine is pretty much stock, and it falls on it's face at about 4500 rpm. The torque is there pretty much from an idle. I have a 79 454 out of a 1 ton truck, so it's got the peanut port heads. There not much for power, but pretty decent for low end torque. It seems to me like a stock 454 of the era that I have is similar to a diesel engine.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

4500 is about all you'll get out of a stocker. :( Between the peanut ports, the factory cam that barely opens the valves, and old, worn out valve springs, it just won't do much. You can really wake it up with a better cam and new valve springs to match the cam. Different heads will really make some serious power, but then you're getting into a much larger and more expensive project... :eek1:

6. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Alright everyone thanks for the help, iIwas under the asumption that it was between 2100 - 2600rpm

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

are you sure of the port? i have a 78 with large port. might want to check over. if so get some good heads and good 4x4 or lowend tourqe cam. also any time you change and go bigger on the cam in a bbc change the springs.