Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 Questions--

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IGOR, Jan 22, 2001.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey all-

I have a question-

A friend of mine has a 454 out of a wrecked '76 Chev truck that he wants 1000 for - is this worth it? It ran when he pulled it - but it's been sitting in his garage for about a year

-I have no idea the condition - it may need rebuilding what not - Would it be better to buy a new (from like Jim Pace or somewhere?) crate motor? or buy this one, run it and take the hit if it needs rebuilding.

also, will a 454 bolt right in on my '75 with a T350 tranny and present 350? Will I have to change the motor mounts?

Thanx!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

$1000 is a little steep for an as-is motor unless its been rebuilt or suped up. As long as its been sitting, I would worry more about the cylinders having little surface rust from no lubrication whatsoever. If you knew he was going to pull it and let it sit, you would have told him to spray some WD40 in each spark plug hole. If you wanted to rebuild one, you can find them easily for around under 500.00. Yes the motor will bolt up in place of the old 350 but you need to keep the flywheel that was off the 454 as it is externally balanced. The 350 is internally balanced and if you have the wrong one on the 454, it will be unbalanced and live a short life. You wont need to change the motor mounts either, but if you get brand new ones, get them for the motor size that originally came with the vehicle. Reason is many big block trucks have different alignment holes on the steel part that bolts to frame and holds the rubber mounts you can buy from parts stores.

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I agree, sounds a little steep. I had a chance to get a complete 454 out of a 73 vette with 049 heads for $500. A week later, some guy was selling a 2WD dually with a complete 454 and TH400 trans for $500 and it ran fine! I was 20 minutes too late on that deal. I'd keep looking.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

4. IGOR

thanx guys - i think i'll prob go with a crate motor

5. IGOR

thanx guys - i think i'll prob go with a crate motor....