Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 SB as a daily driver???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by loudandproud, Aug 7, 2000.

1. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

After reading some of the posts on one of the other topics about whats the difference between a smallblock and a bigblock, I am confused.

I am wondering if I could put a 454 SB in my truck as a daily driver? Or should I get a 454 BBI don't want the thing to break on me all the time.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The largest displacement small block I have seen is 427 cu/inch. From what I saw it did not look like a daily driver, but it was built pretty radical ($). 600 hp though. A bored 400 would get you 406" and I think in my humble opinion that that is the practical limit for a street driven daily driver. If you want the cubes go for the big block, you can build them bigger and still be reliable. GM offers a 502 that makes 450 hp and 500 ft/lbs of torque over the counter, might be something to check out.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

3. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    454SB daily driver = NO

To big block, or not to big block that is the question!

And you are the only person who knows the answer, a bigblock is nice to have, if you need POWER. but you pay for that power every time you pull up to the pump! you pay for it whether you needed it or not. (I know!!![​IMG])
    A small block will perform MOST duties perfectly well.
    if you do go BB just use a 454.
    if you do go SB just use a 350.
    The reason is simple! These two engine sizes have the MOST available, and least expensive parts in the world![​IMG]

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The 454 in my '77 Sub 4x4 gets 10 MPG and has loads of torque and HP. SBs don't get much better mileage. BB ALL THE WAY!!!!!

ken

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Sure, you can make a perfectly streetable 454 small-block, no problem, really. Purchase an aftermarket block with siameesed cylinders, have a crank, pistons, and rods made to work out to 454 cid. Put a mild cam in, mild heads, etc. You'll then have a 454 cid small block for $10,000, and only save 100 lbs. Displacement doesn't make a motor more or less streetable, the cam/heads/etc do. You never see them because the cost of a 454 SBC is soooo high.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

6. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Caddy Big Block all the way baby. They only wieght in at 600lbs with a iron manifold and less with an aluminum one. They are 500ci and a sh*t load of torque.

Donovan

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I am also confused; are you asking what is the difference between a small block and a big block? The two engines are completely different.

Big Blocks are: 396, 402, 427 and 454

common Small Blocks are: 265, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350, 400

I know there are a few more small blocks in odd cubic inches. The difference in the small block and the big block are far to numerous to explain in this post. If you are looking for which would benifet you the most, you would need to tell us what your specifications on your truck are, your intended use, and your budget. If you are just looking for some decent power (more than you will ever need) stick with the small block. They are the cheapest v8 to build and parts are easily found anywhere. If you spend every weekend in gumbo mud up to the windows and have 1 ton axles, go for the big block. I have seen stock small blocks break drivetrain parts easy. My 400 came with 175 HP and 300 Ft/Lbs of torque and it has broken differentials easily. You should find a good reliable small block and keep it as stock as you can. Spend your money on drivetrain parts first, then upgrade the motor last. I would guarantee your rig would benifet from a gear change without even asking your specs. Grab a Chevy magazine and start reading. That is the best source that I can tell you.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

8. realsquash

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey! Great mileage! Tell me the specs on your engine, like cam, carb, etc. I try everything I can to eek out extra MPGs! Course, my Sub's running 4.56s and 39.5 Swampers! Maybe 10 MPG is all I can hope for!!

ken

10. realsquash

Yeah, 10mpg was all I was hoping for, but several 500+ mile hiway trips have shown a consistent 13-14MPG! Me engine is as follows:

468cid BBC
    10.1:1 compression
    Compcams XE268 cam (268/280 duration)
    Harland Sharp Roller rockers
    Aluminum rectangle port heads, can't remember the valve sizes (2.25" intake comes to mind, but i really can't remember)
    Thorley tri-y headers
    Single-plane Port EFI, programmed by myself.
    4.10's, 35" BFGs, 4spd manual, etc. 2800 rpm at 65.

She gets decent mileage, but must run 89+ octane (yes, I get away with 89!).

Squash

11. realsquash

Yeah, 10mpg was all I was hoping for, but several 500+ mile hiway trips have shown a consistent 13-14MPG! Me engine is as follows (all on my website, plus more):

468cid BBC
    10.1:1 compression
    Compcams XE268 cam (268/280 duration)
    Harland Sharp Roller rockers
    Aluminum rectangle port heads, can't remember the valve sizes (2.25" intake comes to mind, but i really can't remember)
    Thorley tri-y headers
    Single-plane Port EFI, programmed by myself.
    4.10's, 35" BFGs, 4spd manual, etc. 2800 rpm at 65.

She gets decent mileage, but must run 89+ octane (yes, I get away with 89!).

Squash

12. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Ahhh, the port injection is your "key" I think! My '54 has 8.5:1 comp, 460 cubes, 260 Comp Cam, regular rockers, headers, 2 1/2" 3 chamber Flowmasters, 39.5" Swampers, 4.56 gears, and 6700 lbs. empty. Oh, I also am able to nearly piss in the tank!!! It runs on crap 87 octane, currently about $1.43 a gallon in my neck-o'-the-woods!

ken

13. realsquash

The EFI prolly helps a little, but the compression and cam bear the most responsibility. If I dial back the ignition timing, I could prolly get away with 87 octane, but I don't drive it to work every day anymore, so it gets 92 or 93.

My trips include 4 tires/rims which total 550-600 lbs, lotsa barley pop, tent, grill, dry goods, me, 2 tanks-o-gas, and a very full bed-width toolbox. 14 MPG is damned good for almost 7000 lbs!

Squash

14. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I'm in the midst of putting a 454 in mine, should get around 10 mpg.... which is'nt THAT bad. I say go BB all the way

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You can also go a bit different with small blocks..........like any 350 or 400 and put TPI on it. Outstanding performance with great gas mileage. Like about 14 around town, 16-18 on the freeway. TPI units available on all kinds of junkyard motors.....IROC Z-28's (that is what I got mine off of), Impala SS (good luck finding this one) Caprices with 350 motors, etc. Well worth doing.....and pretty darn trick.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

16. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

What is TPI???

17. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Tuned Port Injection, fuel injection through a port into the cylinder!
    Not an electrically controlled carb with injectors like the TBI Throttle Body Injection, not that there is anything wrong with the TBI, just the TPI is better , more efficient![​IMG]

18. River

River 1/2 ton status

Is it easy to swap a TBI for TPI?
    If i understand it right i go to a local junkjard take the TPI from a camaro irocz and put it on my `89 TBI 350 do i also need the computer from the camaro?

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `89 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "33, 2.73, 10 bolt F, 12 Bolt R

19. realsquash

I am assuming this is on your 89? If so, the cleanest way is to contact howell for the harness, but get the tpi unit and computer from the j-yard/swap meet. Your MAP sensor will work fine. The TPI unit should come with a TPS and IAC motor, replace all the others with new. You might need a custom chip because of VATS and possibly TCC lockup on your truck, i'm not sure how the 1227747 does it. If you get serious about it, there is a lot of info on the net.

Squash