Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 specs and swap-in info?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Highjaxx, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Buying a '92 454 TBI, puting in my '86 Sub 1/2 ton. Have complete engine comimg (fan and serpentine belt included). /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Have a 700R4. Hoping for tips to make it easier. Thanks

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

first, junk the 700r4 and get a TH400. No overdrive but a 454 wil turn a 700r4 into hamburger. The mounts should work with minor mods. if you are going to run the EFI(a good thing) make sure you get the wiring harness and the computer This will make life a whole lot easier. May need a larger rad. You could prolly get your recored with a 4 row core.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You might have to figure out an electric fuel pump solution. the rest should be straitforward.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am currently rebuilding a 1992 454 that will be going into my 1987 K5. You will need to pigure out a fuel pump solution, but I bet a decent in-line one will take care of you. The ECM should be mounted in the cab (My 87 has in under the glove box)AND DITCH THE 700. Either have it rebuilt to handle the BBC power or swap in a th400 or a 4-speed manual...The biggest issue would be the wiring and all the incidentals that are involved. Bolting in the engine is childsplay...The issue I am having is that I already have the entire wiring harness in my truck that will work for the 454, but there are a handful of connectors that are different. But I am just swapping the ECM and putting on new connectors...

Chris

5. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

I would try to find tanks with the TBI pumps in them already... much easier and you get the baffles in the tank.

I had to install the in tank pumps after burning up inline pumps because they kept sucking dry (at least I hope the problem is solved... 4 pumps later).

However, that was for TPI, maybe TBI isn't as bad. Still, if I were starting fresh on a TBI, I would do a tank swap.