Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 swap ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coloradoblazers, Dec 4, 2001.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

454 swap ?\'s

I know a guy who has a cheap, freshly rebulit unfired 468. I was biut for offroad purpases, so it is wothwhile. I want to know, what mods will be necessary to get it in my blazer. also is there a chear tpi, or at least efi sytem i could hook up to it( i've got an 87 w/ tbi)? right now i have the stock 305, so this would be a major difference.

K5- because size DOES matter!
    <font color=blue> <a target="_blank" href=http://www.coloradok5.com/gallery/Bucks-Truck>
    Fear This </a>
    </font color=blue>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: 454 swap ?\'s

I'm about to do this swap on my '90 Suburban. I've got a 454 throttle body that I'm going to install on my 454 and connect to the stock computer, just to see how far off the calibration is. Since the 454 TBI has bigger injectors, that the 350 eprom doesn't know about, I want to see how close it will get to running the engine. Then I plan to have a custom chip burned for it.

Things I know I'll need: Bigger radiator. The 700R4 will probably not live a very long or happy life. Already picked up a 14-bolt FF to replace the 10-bolt in the rear. It's not going to be a serious off-road rig, mostly a tow vehicle, so I also picked up an 8-lug 10-bolt front axle so the wheels will all match.

I'm still waiting for some of the parts to come in, so it'll be a few weeks before the engine hoist comes out. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Your 87 TBI wont handle the flow requirements of the new motor. You will need to use a carb or like HAIR-E said, go with a 454 TBI setup.

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. SKI-'84K5

SKI-'84K5 1/2 ton status

i haven't had a 305 however i did have a 6.2 diesel and the difference is great. I know lots of people here trash the 305 so i ASSUME they are somewhat comparable in terms of horsepower stock and at least you get plenty o' torque out of it to. somebody else can get what i miss but engine mounts and probably a bigger radiator are the main things with new headers or manifolds

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Don't forget about maybe new motor mounts and maybe the oil pan clearance on the cross member (not sure on that one) someone will tell ya If I am wrong.And get all the brackets for thee steering pump and the like.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

It will bolt right up.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The engine bolts right up. You can even use your same engine mounts and the same TH350. Just make sure you get all the alt, A/C and PS brackets.

So far, these are the parts I've bought that I can remember from my head:
    -4 core radiator from www.radiator.com with discount for CK5 members,
    -Energy Suspension poly mounts.
    -Fuel pump
    -Exhaust mods for the longer headers (Thorley tri-Y).

For the FI, just get an Edelbrock Quadrajet on a flashy aluminum intake. Or, if you have the money, get the Edelbrock MPFI system for carburated big blocks, which includes everything.

I'll be finished with my swap soon.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]