Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

454 swap.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Mar 30, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I want to put a tbi 454 or 396 in my 90 jimmy. I have some questions though.

1. Will any of my stock computer and wiring work or will I need the 454 tbi wiring also.

2 If I use the edelbrock mpfi setup can i order the one for a 454 and will it have all the new stuff i need to use my remaining stock wiring on a 454.

3. Will the 454 tbi or mpfi work on a 396?

4. Will I need any frame mods or will the BB motor mounts bolt up to my stock 1/2 ton frame.

I hope these make sense. If not I can elaborate. With my truck my mind goes faster then my hands /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I cannot answer your TBI questions.
    Your stock crossmember will work fine with a BBC.
    I belive the 396 & 454 are the same externally.
    Good luck
    I can't wait to drive my BBC /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

What about the mounts. And thanks for the info.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

GM uses the same bolt pattern on the blocks for the engine mounts.
    There are some x-member & engine mounts that are different but thoes are the original rigs that came with a BBC from factory.
    ORD sells engine mounts that bolt right up to both SBC and BBCs. So originally equipt SBC trucks/Blazers will accept a BBC just fine. If you have a manual tranny you will need a new flywheel(454) and cluth. If you are Auto then the recomendation is to swap in a TH400 or that other big block tranny that I don't know the name of /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I would like to run a 700. I am thinking about a bowtie overdrive 700 or a raptor 700. They are supposed to hold atleast 500 horse and torque. And since I will never be that high you think that would be alright. Thanks for all the help. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't know didly squwat about auto slushboxes /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif except they over heat and catch fire eaisly /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    hehehe

7. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

They should all bolt up but the 454 is externally balanced so you need flywheel for the big block the 396 I believe is internally. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

More info yes give it all to me. Anything on the wiring and stock sensors???????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Depending on the year of the 454, yes all you juck from you 90 will work prefect..I swapped in a 1992 TBI 454 into a 1987 K5. I kept my stock 350TBI wiring harness but I had to change about 70% of the connectors. The newer 454 had differenct connectors than the one on my older 350.

Chris