Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my boss has a real nice 454 he is trying to get rid of. Eldbrock everthing, bored out, rebuilt, nice cam, the whole works. I could probaly get it for a great deal but need to know what i would have to do to swap it. any input? what would the cost be?

K-5- because size DOES matter!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You'd have to pull yours out and bolt that one in. That's about it, and any expense related to that (new belts, hoses, plugs, wires, maybe a starter or water pump, etc.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. 454Blazer

454Blazer Registered Member

I have to concur with the previous post. We swapped our 350 for a 454 and it was the easiest swap I've ever done or heard of. This is my first chevy and I have to say I'm impressed with how things just bolt up...amazing.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://members.home.net/snarrlman/index.html>http://members.home.net/snarrlman/index.html</A>

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

it is a easy swap to do but becareful on the driver side valve cover. i use roller rockers so i have to use tall valve covers so there is no clearence with the brake booster. to get the valve cover off i have to remove the booster. they make smaller brake boosters just havent got it yet. that was the only problem i had, but its well worth it for the power you get! good luck!

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Assuming you get all the accessories and brackets (alternator, p/s, etc) it's a cake walk as far as physical block to block swapping. Then you have to worry about exhaust, cooling (the radiator that came with your rig will keep it cool under light duty to regular use, but under heavy usage you will probably run hot, think about getting a donor 4-core radiator while you're swapping, no sense in toasting a good motor), wiring (depending on years of motors and sensors). Get the OffRoadDesigns motor mounts and you won't have to worry about your old one's fatigueing or trying to find the right one's for the big block.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?